Roster Rundown: women's basketball team

As part of The Spectrum's 2013-14 basketball preview, the sports staff breaks down the women's basketball team's roster.

Loesing

Mackenzie Loesing, sophomore, guard

2012-13 stats: 11.6 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 1.2 apg

Loesing led the Bulls offensively and defensively with 11.6 points per game and 66 steals in her freshman campaign. She finished the season scoring at least 10 points in eight of the final nine games and was named to the MAC All-Freshman team and honorable mention All-MAC.

"We ended on a pretty high note, I would say," Loesing said. "I think our team got better progressively throughout the year and that just gives us confidence going into this year because we know we haven't reached as good as we can be yet."

Thornton

Cherridy Thornton, senior, forward

2012-13 stats: 10.8 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 1.6 apg

As a transfer, Thornton missed the first 10 games of the season due to NCAA rules. This offseason, she picked up her conditioning program and dropped 15 pounds. She says she feels stronger and more in shape than she did at this time last year. Her goal is to be named first-team All-MAC. Thornton was second on the Bulls in scoring with 10.8 points per game.

"When the offseason came [last season], I wasn't doing as much as I wanted to do because I knew I wasn't playing [right away], but this offseason, it was strictly business," Thornton said. "I knew as soon as the season started, I would be playing right away. I wouldn't have to wait until 10 or 11 games."

Sharkey

Kristen Sharkey, junior, forward

2012-13 stats: 8.9 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 1.1 bpg

Junior forward Kristen Sharkey emerged at the end of last season, highlighted by her career-best 26-point performance in the MAC quarterfinals in Buffalo's near upset victory over Akron.

That game has given her more confidence throughout the offseason as she continues to work toward opening day.

"It just reassured me that I do have the ability to be a huge presence for this team and help us win," Sharkey said.

Sharkey wants to increase her paint presence and make opponents pay for sending her to the foul line. Her goal is to shoot 90 percent from the charity stripe and make it there at least six to 10 times a game.

Gupilan

Margeaux Gupilan, senior, point guard

2012-13 stats: 6.3 ppg, 4 apg, 1.4 spg

Gupilan has more experience with Buffalo basketball than even head coach Felisha Legette-Jack. In her final season as a Bull, she has fully accepted her leadership role on and off the court.

"I'm more focused than I was last year," Gupilan said. "I feel like I have to get everyone on the team on the same page. The young'ns have the ability to do what we need them to do, but they need someone to tell them what to do and that's when I come in."

Gupilan led the Bulls with 131 assists and ranked third with 46 steals. While she was watching film in the offseason, Gupilan noticed she must improve her court vision as she missed some open opportunities last year.

"I'm more hungry for the championship," Gupilan said. "The feeling I left off with last year, I definitely don't want to feel that again. We got a glimpse of greatness."

Malone

Alexus Malone, freshman, forward

Malone was the only freshman to start in the team's opening exhibition. She had nine points and six rebounds in 15 minutes.

She described the practices as at a different intensity level from in high school with the need to bring high energy and constantly be communicating.

"[I want to] improve better in the post area and on my outside game," Malone said. "I want to try to become [MAC] rookie of the year."

IMG_0723WEB

Christa Baccas, junior, forward

2012-13 stats: 7.5 ppg, 8.8 rpg, 2.75 bpg

Baccas' name is near the top of almost every Buffalo stat category from last season. She ranked first on the team in minutes, field goal percentage, rebounding and blocks and was second in steals, third in assists and fifth in scoring. Baccas was an All-MAC honorable mention selection and recorded the second most blocks in a season in school history (88).

Walton

Sloane Walton, junior, guard

2012-13 stats: 5 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 14.5 mpg

Walton appeared in every game for Buffalo last season, but her name was only introduced with the starting lineup twice. She wouldn't have it any other way.

"I feel like coming off the bench, I can be a spark for the team, help out our starters," Walton said. "Say if one of our scorers come out, I can come right in and try to score for us."

Walton led the team in three-point goals (43) and percentage (36.1 percent) last season. Over 83 percent (119 of 142) of her shots were from behind the arc.

moss

Karin Moss, sophomore, guard

2012-13 stats: 4.4 ppg, 1.2 apg, 1.3 spg

Moss appeared in 31 of Buffalo's 32 games last season, often providing an offensive spark from behind the arc. Moss shot 36 percent from long range last season and was third on the Bulls in total 3-pointers (32).

Rachael Gregory, sophomore, guard

2012-13 stats: 10.7 ppg, 6.3 rpg, .9 spg

Gregory was Buffalo's leading scorer through 17 games (10.7 points per game) before suffering a season-ending ACL injury. She is still rehabbing her injury and hopes to return to the lineup this season.

Joanna Smith, freshman, guard

Smith played 21 minutes in the Bulls' exhibition victory over Mansfield and totaled eight points, three rebounds and two assists. She averaged 13 points, four rebounds, three assists and two steals per game as a senior at Southaven High School in Mississippi.

Jenna Rickan, senior, guard

Rickan has 62 career games of Division I experience, but none are on the hardwood. Rickan made 43 starts over four seasons at Syrcause University on the soccer pitch. The Kenmore West native looks to add depth and make an immediate impact for the Bulls in her final year of eligibility.

Ayana Bradley, junior, guard

Bradley transferred to UB from Monroe Community College where she averaged 9.8 points and 8.9 rebounds a game. She will add depth to the Bulls' roster as a guard who can also be a factor on the boards.

Camera Miley, freshman, guard

Miley is one of four incoming freshmen for the Bulls. The guard from Brooklyn, N.Y., averaged 14.5 points, 3.9 rebounds and 2.4 assists per game as a senior at Midwood High School.

Nia Roberts, freshman, guard

Roberts, from Miami, Fla., joins the Bulls after being recruited by schools such as Florida A&M, South Florida, Norfolk State and Miami.