Roster Rundown: men's basketball team

As part of The Spectrum's 2013-14 basketball preview, the sports staff breaks down the men's basketball team's roster.

Javon-McCrea

Javon McCrea, senior, forward

2012-13 stats: 18.0 ppg, 7.9 rpg, 2.6 bpg

McCrea has proven he is a legitimate scoring threat the past two seasons, but this year he is working harder on his leadership.

"We got a lot of young guys," McCrea said. "I'm trying to get them right so they're good for the rest of their careers, too."

McCrea's role this season will be different from in the past because of the change of pace on offense, but head coach Bobby Hurley hasn't overlooked McCrea's skill in the post and he will still be the Bulls' main offensive threat.

Will-Regan

Will Regan, junior, forward

2012-13 stats:11.1 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 41.6% three-point

Regan had his best game of the season in the MAC Tournament last year when he scored 36 points against Ball State. Last week, Regan was named to the first team All-MAC East division team.

"I'm going to be a better rebounder and have a better presence in the post," Regan said.

Regan brings a shooter's touch to the forward position and complements McCrea's strong post presence.

Jarod-Oldham

Jarod Oldham, senior, guard

2012-13 stats:10.1 ppg, 4.4 apg, 1.5 spg

Oldham was the Bulls' starting point guard last season before he broke his wrist 11 games into the year, which ended his season.

"I'm a lot smarter than I was after playing three years and then having to sit out and watch the game from the sidelines," Oldham said. "I feel like I learned a lot more. I'm definitely excited to be back out on the floor."

Hurley called Oldham the "best defender [he has] ever coached."

Jarry-Skeete

Jarryn Skeete, sophomore, guard

2012-13 stats: 7.1 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 2.5 apg

Skeete stepped in for Oldham in the middle of last season and the then-true freshman played better than many expected. This season, Oldham will be the leading point guard and Skeete will take on a more scoring-centric role.

He doesn't foresee any issues in playing with Oldham.

"We have great chemistry, so we're able to read each other without really looking at each other," Skeete said.

Freelove

Josh Freelove, senior, guard

2012-13 stats:13.6 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 1.0 apg

Freelove comes to the Bulls as a transfer from Alabama State for his final season of eligibility. He was the Hornets' leading scorer last season. Freelove will likely be the Bulls' only starter who did not start for the team last season.

He also has a good outside shot - something the Bulls desperately needed last season.

"[I will] be a veteran guy to come in and give scoring support to Javon, and be aggressive on defense and to bring some more guard pressure on offense and defense," Freelove said.

Justin-Moss

Justin Moss, sophomore, forward

Moss, a JuCo transfer from Indian Hills Community College in Iowa, is a big man who will come off the bench to spell McCrea and Regan. He will be the first forward off the bench. Moss said his main role will be as a rebounder and a distraction to help open up opportunities for McCrea.

In his final year at Indian Hills, Moss averaged 9.5 points, 5.1 rebounds and 18 minutes per game.

Corey-Raley

Corey Raley-Ross, senior, guard

2012-13 stats: 9.6 mpg, 1.2 ppg, 1.0 rpg

Raley-Ross had a limited role last season but looks to be a high-energy guy as the first guard off the bench. He is one of the most athletic players on the team, but he has struggled translating his athleticism to court performances in the past.

Raley-Ross has looked strong in practice this preseason, and he will be a good option to complement Oldham, Freelove and Skeete.

Auraum Nuiriankh, senior, guard

2012-13 stats: 5.8 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 73.3% free throw

Nuiriankh played a big role last season in former head coach Reggie Witherspoon's offense but will likely see his playing time reduced this year.

He will be one of the first players off the bench though, and the Bulls will need his shooting game to improve from last season.

Shannon Evans, freshman, guard

Evans was the Bulls' most highly touted recruit this past offseason and gave fans a glimpse of how exciting he can be at Bulls Madness in October. In his final year of high school, Evans averaged8.9 points, 3 steals and 4.5 assists per game.

Evans could play his way into a position as a role player this year.

Xavier Ford, junior, forward

2012-13 stats: 3.3 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 10.2 mpg

Ford played limited minutes last year as a reserve forward off the bench. His role this season should be similar.

The difference between this year and last is that Ford never fit into former head coach Reggie Witherspoon's system. New coach Bobby Hurley has brought a faster-paced offense to the Bulls, which should fit Ford's size and athleticism combination well.

Look for Ford to be more successful at the new pace.

Deyshonee Much, freshman, guard

Much wowed fans at Bulls Madness with his spectacular 180 dunk. Much will see a limited role this season as he learns from the older players.

Expect him to see more playing time as the season goes on. He has a smooth shot and the Bulls may need help on the perimeter. Last year, at Redemption Christian Academy (Massachusetts), Much averaged 19.3 points, 4.4 rebounds and 2.1 steals per game. Much went to high school at Gates Chili (Rochester) before spending his last year at Redemption.