"Bulls defeat Robert Morris at home, improve to 2-2 on season"

At one point, the men's basketball team trailed 25-16 during its early-season matchup with Robert Morris Tuesday night. The Bulls fought back to tie it by halftime before making it clear they were the better team in the second half.

Buffalo used two momentum-shifting runs - 10-0 midway through the first half, 16-2 midway through the second - to take command and earn an 81-66 win in Alumni Arena. After a tough start to the season, with disheartening performances at Texas A&M and Niagara, the Bulls are back at .500 (2-2).

All five UB starters finished in double figures. Forward Javon McCrea, the All-MAC first-teamer who has been a force in the paint early in his senior year, led the way yet again. He amassed 18 points, 12 rebounds and five blocks - 12 of his points and nine of his rebounds came in the first half, as he helped his squad stay in the game.

The Bulls and Colonials were tied, 38-all, at the break, but Buffalo's offense came alive in the final 20 minutes. The Bulls executed their offense to perfection, moving the ball around fluently and creating clean looks for every player on the court.

Sophomore guard Jarryn Skeete, who is transitioning to playing the 2 this year, totaled 15 points, four rebounds and three assists. Senior Jarod Oldham, the point guard who has returned in a big way after suffering a season-ending wrist injury in December 2012, had 13 points, seven assists and four rebounds.

Senior swingman Josh Freelove, the high-flying transfer from Alabama State, totaled 12 points, and junior power forward Will Regan had 10 points - eight of which came at the free throw line - and six rebounds.

The Bulls' 16-2 run in the second half sealed the game. The score was 53-52 with 11:23 to go until Buffalo's offense lit up to pull away. UB went ahead 69-54 with 6:18 remaining, and Robert Morris couldn't get back in the game.

The biggest statistical difference came on the glass, where the Bulls outrebounded the Colonials 45-32. Buffalo had 15 second-chance points to its opponent's five.

Robert Morris (3-4) is now 1-4 on the road. The Colonials have played some tough competition early this year, including No. 3 Kentucky and Cleveland State.

The Bulls are home again to play Delaware State (1-4) Saturday at 2 p.m.

email: sports@ubspectrum.com