An international market close to home

Asian American Student Union hosts sixth annual Night Market

An aroma of different foods captured the attention of many students lined up outside Student Union 145 on Saturday night.

The sights and smells were hard to resist, as performances and cultural cuisines came together to galvanize an estimated 300 people in attendance at the sixth annual Asian American Student Union (AASU) Night Market.

The event, which included over 30 different clubs and organizations, is an annual event inspired by authentic night markets that exist in many different Asian countries. Taiwan, especially, is well known for its vibrant night markets held on its streets.

Fiona Wong, a senior business major and president of AASU, took ideas from night markets she had visited in Asian countries in hopes to spread cultural awareness.

"We're open to everybody and try to encourage anyone interested in learning more about Asian culture," Wong said. "With 13 different countries being represented by their respective clubs all in one room, there is no better place to learn about Asian culture."

Well-known cultural dishes and beverages made appearances. Students lined up and bought tickets at the door. Each ticket was then used to 'purchase' all kinds of cuisines, including bubble tea, spring rolls and red bean soup, served by dozens of international clubs.

Food began selling out quickly and some clubs struggled to keep up with the demand for a home-cooked and international-themed meal.

While the filled room of attendees enjoyed the international delicacies, the Buffalo Chips showcased their singing abilities. They performed popular hits by Maroon 5 and One Republic.

"We thought it was a great event and wanted to take this opportunity to show our presence on campus," said Zach Carr, a graduate student studying communication science and a member of the Buffalo Chips. "We're often performing elsewhere, usually off-campus, so this was a great way to connect with some of the clubs and students at UB."

The show was then taken over by a multitude of different international organizations. The Filipino American Student Association performed tinikling, a traditional dance of the Philippines, and the Korean Folk Art Club (KFAC) performed a traditional Korean dance.

Robin Murray III, a junior mathematics major and vice president of the Black Student Union, thought the performances were "amazing." He particularly enjoyed KFAC's routine. He was impressed with the diversity of the performances.

AASU Night Market drew in a large and diverse crowd. The Latin American Student Association danced a salsa routine.

"We're hoping to grow closer amongst all the different clubs through collaborations such as AASU night market," Wong said.

The event was well received by many of the attendees, with thunderous applause to performances and laughs shared over plates of food.

"It brings everyone together, and lets people try out so many different types of food," said Eric Chan, a freshman computer science major.

AASU hopes to keep up the tradition and hold another night market event next year.