How to: create a scary scar for Halloween

Ikea Edwards, a senior visual communication major, dreams of being a special effects makeup artist. She grew up watching horror movies and fell in love with how realistic the fake blood looked.

So she decided to venture into the world of fake blood, liquid latex and red eye shadow.

She honed her talent by watching YouTube videos and sketching designs and then using makeup to make them a reality. Edwards uses primarily materials she finds around her house - like toilet paper, paper towels, eye shadow and thread - but fake blood and liquid latex are necessities.

"I love the fake blood," she said. "I like to get dirty looking [on Halloween] and scare people."

Her process starts with a computer printout of a face. Edwards then sketches what she wants the finished product to look like. After researching techniques and watching videos on the Internet, she gets to work creating exposed flesh, disfigured cheeks and missing eyeballs.

She loves to create something that will scare people.

Edwards encourages people to be creative and offers a quick and easy way to transform their healthy skin into zombie scars.

Need:

Toilet paper

Liquid latex and fake blood (both available at local Halloween stores)

Foundation makeup

Red and black eye shadow

1. Clean the area

2. Put a layer of liquid latex on the area you want to scar (it dries quickly, so be careful)

3. Place a piece of toilet paper on top of the liquid latex

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for another 3 or 4 layers - depending on how you want the scar to look

5. Wait for the layers to dry (use a blow dryer to speed up the process)

6. Rip the toilet paper apart, creating holes while it's on your skin (Be careful not to pull off too much)

7. Use foundation that matches your skin color to blend in the edges and get rid of the white of the toilet paper

8. Use a brush to paint the edges of the scar with red and black eye shadow. Fill in some of the holes to make it look more realistic and bruised.

9. Using makeup or a paintbrush, cover the edges and any white area with the fake blood.