Stampede of events on its way for homecoming 2013

Student Association members are looking forward to a packed schedule of new events surrounding this year's homecoming bash.

SA, in conjunction with other on-campus organizations like UB Athletics, is on a mission to provide students with not only a better college football experience on game day, but also a more engaging Spirit Week and homecoming. SA officials are confident students will be receptive to the revamped schedule.

Spirit Week, which costs around $15,000 annually, according to SA Entertainment Coordinator Marc Rosenblitt, will run from Monday to Saturday, when the football team will take on the Eastern Michigan Eagles at UB Stadium.

SA will host a variety of events in and around the Student Union during Spirit Week, including games, giveaways, public-art activities, contests and a tailgating event come game day, all with the intention of bringing clubs and students together to promote school spirit.

The tailgating events - which kicked off Sept. 14 in the Bulls' home opener against Stony Brook - have been a joint venture between SA and other organizations, most notably UB's athletic department, which has contributed roughly half of the $30,000 total cost of the Party at the Point tailgates, according to Rosenblitt.

"Financially, it doesn't break the bank," said SA Vice President Lyle Selsky. "We're getting a lot of bang for our buck with Athletics' financial support as well."

Both sides contributed money and effort, Selsky added.

By Friday, many of SA's larger events will begin, most notably the annual Homecoming Carnival - a free event taking place beside Lake LaSalle. The carnival will feature rides, games, food and live entertainment, among other attractions, and will precede the pep rally, bonfire and fireworks display, which are scheduled to run until 10 p.m.

The carnival isexpected to cost SAaround $45,000 to $50,000 this year, which is substantially lower than what it would have cost had other campus organizations not been so helpful in funding the event, according to Rosenblitt.

"We were able to get sponsorships from the office of Student Life, Alumni Association and university athletics," Rosenblitt said. "They've all been very gracious and have given a combined total of about $12,000 to help us increase this year's carnival."

For those looking to do something other than attend the carnival, the host of Discovery Channel's "Cash Cab," Ben Bailey, will put on a comedy show in Alumni Arena at 7 p.m. on Friday before he heads outside to help emcee the pep rally.

The men's soccer team will face off against the Bowling Green Falcons at UB Stadium at 7 p.m. on the same day. Students looking to watch the sporting event can look on as the Bulls seek a win against their first conference opponent this season.

On the day of the football game, Saturday, another Party at the Point will take place with two-time Grammy Award-winning musical group Kool & The Gang kicking off the celebration at 10 a.m. The concert will take place in the Stadium Lot.

With a large variety of events included in homecoming, SA is hopeful that this year's festivities will be the best to date.

Selsky said much of the excitement stems directly from the influence of the new Party at the Point tailgates and Tailgate Concert Series.

"There's a lot more going on than there used to be," Selsky said. "I think [the Party at the Point] will just get bigger and bigger."

The first new tailgating event Sept. 14 debuted with favorable reviews. The inaugural Party at the Point offered plenty of activities for both students and the general public to take part in. Besides a concert put on by Blues Traveler, SA's event featured a live DJ, free food and beverages, a rock climbing wall, a zip line and a mechanical bull, among other things.

"This is the first homecoming I can say I'm legitimately excited for because of everything that's been going on," said Jenna Schratz, a junior health and human services major. "The SA finally seems to have figured out what students actually want out of their school in terms of things to do, because the first tailgate was actually a lot of fun."

Claire Brady, a senior speech and hearing science major, said she felt a sense of camaraderie surrounding the football team that was actually tangible. She said it made the recent game day leading up to the lengthy bout with Stony Brook more enjoyable.

"[The Party at the Point] was a great way for all the students to get together and have fun before the game," Brady said. "I'm definitely looking forward to the events to come."

SA and UB Athletics aim to create an experience more like those seen at other large schools, like the University of Michigan or Ohio State University, according to Selsky.

"Especially if our team wins, [the Party at the Point] is going to get huge, so I'm excited," Selsky said.

The improvement of this desired "big-school" feel surrounding the football team is exactly what SA and the Athletics Department have wanted to cultivate amongst students, he added. SA officials are hopeful the busy itinerary surrounding homecoming will only add to this feeling. Selsky said SA has been able to put on these events while keeping its costs within what they believe is a reasonable range.

The full schedule of homecoming events can be found on UB's website.