"Quick Hits: Volleyball, soccer teams in action over weekend"

Volleyball

After losing against two nationally ranked teams in back-to-back games, the Bulls (13-2, 1-1 Mid-American Conference) capped off Saturday night with their first conference win of the season.

Buffalo dropped a match to No. 22 Ohio (12-2, 2-0 MAC), 3-1, on Friday but recovered Saturday, defeating Kent State (7-7, 1-1 MAC), 3-1.

"We have players in critical situations able to step up and make plays when we need it," said head coach Todd Kress. "When you can get contributions from different people as a team and your backs are up against a wall, that's a positive step forward."

Next up for the volleyball team is Akron at home on Thursday at 7 p.m.

Women's soccer

The women's soccer team dropped a pair of 1-0 contests this weekend at UB Stadium to open up Mid-American Conference play.

The Bulls (3-4-2, 0-2 MAC) lost to Ball State (6-2-1, 1-0 MAC) on Friday and Miami Ohio (4-6, 1-1 MAC) Sunday afternoon.

"It's tough because these past few games we've played some really good soccer," said head coach Michael Thomas. "To come out and put that kind of effort out on the field and not get the result is disheartening."

The Bulls hit the road for their next game when they face Toledo (3-6, 0-1 MAC) in pursuit of their first conference win of the season. Kick off is set for 4 p.m. on Friday.

Men's soccer

The men's soccer team will enter Mid-American Conference play next weekend with just one win on the season.

The Bulls (1-6-3) lost both games this weekend - on Friday to Cornell (6-0-2), 1-0, and to Robert Morris (4-3-2) on Sunday, 3-1. Sophomore forward Nicolay Netskar had Buffalo's lone goal on the weekend.

This week, the Bulls will face Bowling Green (1-4-4, 0-1 MAC) at home on Friday (7 p.m.) and then travel to Western Michigan (4-6) on Saturday.