Day trips in Buffalo for under $25

It doesn't require a lot of money to have a good time in Buffalo. There are many daytime trips, trails and locations to explore for under $25.

Drive up Elmwood Avenue, North Street or Robert Moses Parkway, take the subway downtown or take a walk down Main Street - any of these roads will take you to places where, for less than $25, students can enjoy a variety of events.

The Aquarium of Niagara has everything from penguins and sea lions to fishes and coral reefs. The aquarium is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and parking is free for everyone, according to its website.

The cost for students is $10 and on Saturdays and Sundays students can feed a seal, as long as the aquarium schedule permits.

For those in touch with their artistic side, students can explore Buffalo's Albright Knox Art Gallery for $8 with a student ID. There are currently four displays at the gallery.

The displays focus on surreal configurations, cubes and rectangles and beautiful images by Trine Lise Nedreaas. The final exhibition is an educational display that showcases the artwork of student artists. This attraction is called "Healing Hearts: From Hurt to Hope," and, according to the art gallery's website, the display is meant to create reflection and "call attention to the need for anti-bullying awareness."

A trip down to the waterfront can mean a relaxing and cheap time for college kids. At the foot of Pearl and Main Street, students can visit the Buffalo and Erie County Naval and Military Park.

For $10, students can explore the USS Little Rock, USS Croaker and USS The Sullivan. The naval park is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily, according to the park's website. It is a great way to learn a bit more about U.S. history while having the chance to be in a submarine or on the decks of a missile cruiser or a Fletcher class destroyer.

Not interested in weapons or ships of mass destruction? Try heading to the Cinema on the Hill. You'll only have to spend a few dollars to catch a film.

Located at 186 E. North Street in Buffalo, the Cinema on the Hill was formed by students at City Honors School to fundraise for their school's film program. Movies will be shown at specific dates inside their auditorium each month, according to Buffalo Rising.

Enjoy movies like The Maltese Falcon, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Some Like It Hot and many more for $3 per ticket.

If the theater's $1 popcorn isn't satisfying your appetite, check out Parkside Candies on Main Street. A five-minute walk from South Campus, Parkside Candies offers a delectable amount of sweets and chocolates.

Satisfy your sweet tooth with the shop's ice cream, or take a handful of treats to munch on at home for a small amount of cash. The store is open from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m., but be sure not to spoil your dinner because right across the street is the Lake Effect Diner.

Famous for its appearance on the Food Network's "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives," local patrons can find Guy Fieri's stamp of approval on the walls of Lake Effect Diner. And if that isn't enough to get you to walk in, the prices may. For great quality food for any meal of the day, Lake Effect Diner's dishes range from $4 to $14.

The restaurant serves breakfast, lunch and dinner and is open from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. The staff is friendly, and you'll often see the owner help serve food during the busier times of the day.

Spending money outside of campus may feel terrifying, but don't worry. Take the venture to South Campus and walk straight across the Goodyear Parking Lot to Dunkin' Donuts. The donut shop has a special from 3 a.m. to 7 p.m. for half priced drinks and a special from 2 a.m. to 6 p.m. for a small latte (hot or iced) for $0.99. Dunkin' Donuts even accepts campus cash for UB students' convenience.

Try something new this weekend. Make an effort to explore the park systems and bike trails around Buffalo. Feeling really adventurous? Check out the abandoned places that surround the city. The Grain Elevators and the train terminal are both excellent places to start.

Being on a budget in college doesn't mean you have to waste your whole day pre-gaming for another party or working on next month's homework; check out all of the interesting places Buffalo has to offer.

Email: ceyochum@buffalo.edu