Diggin' the scene

An introduction to art in Buffalo

Whether you're a new student at UB or someone who has been around the area for a while, Buffalo's art scene is worth getting to know. The city is rich with culture and entertainment, and its art centers and galleries stand at the pinnacle of its attractions.

From the easy accessibility of small galleries that students and local artists are heavily involved with to the astounding collections of internationally recognized museums, Buffalo has something for everyone.

For a new student at UB, an introduction to the arts in Buffalo can start at one of the university's smaller galleries or main attractions on a trip to Elmwood Avenue, where world-renowned galleries are waiting to be explored. For anyone looking to experience art in the city, here's a quick rundown of a few important places to visit:

UB's Galleries

UB Art Gallery

Where: Center For the Arts, North Campus, Amherst

Hours: Tuesday-Friday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.; Saturday, 1-5 p.m.; closed for summer recess

Student rate: Free and open to the public

UB Anderson Gallery

Where: 1 Martha Jackson Place, Buffalo

Hours: Wednesday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.; Saturday, 1-5 p.m.

The UB Art Gallery is devoted to temporary exhibitions of contemporary art from local, national and international artists. Sandra Firmin has been the curator for the UB Art Galleries for 10 years and is proud that the gallery at the CFA focuses on exhibiting work from both emerging and well-known artists while emphasizing diversity on many levels.

"I always try to have a strong geographic spread as well as a spread of age ranges," Firmin said about selecting artists to display their work in the gallery. "I'm very conscious of ethnicity, race, gender and all those things when I'm organizing exhibitions."

The emphasis on diversity is also part of the work that is being created at UB. Firmin and UB professors work to get various departments to collaborate for student exhibitions.

The Second Floor Gallery at the UB Art Gallery exclusively displays student work that often consists of collaborative projects from multiple departments.

The majority of student research and learning for art classes is conducted at the UB Anderson Gallery, which is distinguished by its strong collection of post-World War II art. David K. Anderson,the collector and gallery owner, donated the building and much of the current collection to the university in 2000. Classes are taught at the gallery in the spring and fall, and the university's permanent collection is displayed here for the public year-round.

Firmin encourages any students interested in getting involved with art at UB to come to an opening or a lecture, where the environment is welcoming. Buffalo's famous Paula's Donuts are often served and questions about the collection and exhibitions are encouraged.

"The art that we're showing is made by contemporary artists - they're young," Firmin said. "They're dealing with issues that students coming in now will be familiar with. The artists are their peers."

Currently, the UB Art Gallery is closed for summer recess. The UB Anderson Gallery is displaying a strong representation of work from Grace Hartigan and Joan Mitchell, both influential artists in rethinking gender roles post-World War II, through Aug. 4.

Looking ahead, the UB Art Gallery will serve as the home base for My Future Ex, an exhibition that will feature installation art from various local, national and international artists with work that will pop up all over the city for brief periods of time.

Buffalo's Galleries

Albright-Knox Art Gallery

Where: 1285 Elmwood Ave., Buffalo

Hours: Tuesday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.

Student Rate: $8

Burchfield Penney Art Center

Where: 1300 Elmwood Ave., Buffalo

Hours: Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.; Thursday, 10 a.m.-9 p.m.; Sunday, 1-5 p.m.

Student Rate: $5

The Albright-Knox Art Gallery has been an important Buffalo landmark for over 150 years, and today it stands proudly alongside some of the most visited and well-respected galleries in the world.

The gallery's collection consists of modern and contemporary art that dates as far back as the mid-1860s, with work from legendary names like Picasso, Pollock, van Gogh, Warhol and many others on display year-round.

Visiting Albright-Knox is like going back in time to some of art's golden ages, while also experiencing new and exciting work that is ahead of its time. There are many ways to experience the gallery and endless reasons to keep coming back for more.

"If you can come with a friend, that is a certain kind of experience where you can discuss and debate what you are seeing - it's a relationship to the wider world and everything in between," said Maria Morreale, head of marketing, corporate and public relations for Albright-Knox. "Alone is another way to experience everything, where you can just 'be' with a work of art. For beginners, a tour is definitely recommended, and there is a tour every day."

Albright-Knox has many events and workshops designed for members of the Buffalo community and visitors of all ages. "M&T First Fridays" allow free admission to all visitors on every first Friday of the month. Students can an annual membership to the gallery for $25, which provides unlimited admission for the year. Other events include creative programs for youth groups throughout Western New York and special viewings and tours for members.

"I think the Albright-Knox Art Gallery is a point of civic pride for the city and the Elmwood area," Morreale said. "It is our museum. Ours. Though it has a worldwide reputation for excellence, it is ultimately ours."

On May 31, Albright-Knox opened Sweet Dreams, Baby! Life of Pop, London to Warhol, which Morreale described as a must-see for anyone interested in commercialism, contemporary culture and the roots of modern society.

Right across from the Albright-Knox stands a lesser-known gallery that still packs a big punch. The Burchfield Penney Art Center is a contemporary gallery with a modern look, inside and out. The building is LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certified (the first museum of its kind in New York State) and houses an impressive, diverse collection of art from Western New York that draws visitors from all over.

Burchfield Penney houses the world's largest collection of work by Charles E. Burchfield, after whom the center is partially named. In addition, the museum displays work of many artists featured in rotations with more than 20 exhibitions a year.

The work from Burchfield (mostly watercolor paintings) is highlighted by his love of nature, and the museum recently displayed a collection of his writings.

Burchfield Penney strives to not only feature work from Western New York artists, but also try to involve community members. The museum is free and open to the public for one day of the month as part of M&T Second Fridays.

"We thrive because of our community, including artists, volunteers and partners," said Alana Ryder, curator for public and academic programs at Burchfield Penney.

This year, she has worked closely with many local groups, such as LehrerDance, Babel, Western New York Book Arts Center, GO Bike Buffalo, Autism Services, Ad Club of Buffalo, Girl Scouts of WNY, Whitworth Ferguson Planetarium and Pop-Up Park Buffalo, emphasizing community involvement at the center.

This summer, visitors can look forward to an exhibition of Marilyn Monroe photographs taken by Douglas Kirkland, which will open July 12, and a four-day festival at the center that begins Aug. 8.