The cost of being The Bawse

Poor decision-making costs Rick Ross big bucks

Blame the "yes" men. Blame Rocko. Blame feminists. But God forbid you blame Rick Ross.

The controversy surrounding the Spring Fest 2012 headliner's lyric on Rocko's "U.O.E.N.O." began earlier this month when a particular lyric in Rick Ross' verse caught the attention of listeners everywhere.

"Put molly all in her champagne, she ain't even know it/I took her home and I enjoyed that, she ain't even know it," Ross raps.

Within the past week, the lyric has cost Ross an endorsement deal with Reebok and his spot on the track; if you search the song today, you'll see another Spring Fest alum, Wiz Khalifa, has replaced Ross.

As an avid female rap fan, I often find myself defending rappers and their intentions to those who don't understand the culture. I've had heated debates with people who believe rap music is wholeheartedly negative or not "real" music.

But this is a situation I couldn't possibly defend.

Rick Ross has dealt with his fair share of controversy in the past, but never over something like this. The threats he received by the Gangster Disciples for using Larry Hoover's name in "B.M.F." and the jokes that came from the pictures 50 Cent leaked of him receiving his corrections certification were all results of his decision making.

He chose to use the name of a legendary gangster without permission from his dangerous cohorts and, even if he did become a corrections officer to help clean up his act, he should have known the pictures would become public eventually.

What I can't seem to understand, however, is why a rapper - whose job it is to be a lyricist - took so long to own up for his lyrics.

Before this week, Ross argued that he never meant for the lyric to be interpreted as rape, which confuses me because what elsecould he have meant?

According to the Drug Enforcement Agency, MDMA (molly) acts as a stimulant and a psychedelic, which results in the user reaching a euphoric state. The scary thing, however, is that multiple drugs and substances are labeled as molly but aren't the actual drug, according to a CNN report from last August.

But even if what Ross intended to slip into an unknowing woman's drink is molly, which would bring her to a euphoric state, what explanation could he have for taking her home and enjoying her, and she ain't even know it?

Rick Ross has dominated the mainstream scene since 2006 when "Push It" hit radio and has continued to dominate ever since. He has made millions from his music, which has proven that the man is talented. So why couldn't such a talent find something else to say?

Rick Ross' lyrics are easily quotable and are used in daily conversation, Facebook picture captions and Twitter statuses constantly. So to argue that Ross isn't a face for rap music or hip-hop is absurd.

I sit and wonder what Rocko and Ross' entourage thought when they were in the studio when Ross recorded his verse. Did nobody stand up and question the intentions behind the lyrics or how quickly they could get "misinterpreted?" Or were they initially worried but couldn't conjure up the courage to tell the Teflon Don he was being insensitive?

Ross has branded his name, his label (Maybach Music Group) and has coined various terms throughout the years; his goal has been to become a household name and that alone should be enough for him to know better than to say something as ridiculous as he did on "U.O.E.N.O."

The argument that other rappers have also incorporated rape into their lyrics, while sad and true, has nothing to do with Rick Ross. Last week, The Smoking Section released a list of 32 overlooked rape lyrics in rap, and while the list held notable names like Tyler, The Creator, Lil Wayne and Cam'ron, none of those rappers held major sponsorships when those lyrics were released.

What makes my stomach turn the most, however, are those who are referring to Ross as a victim. Ross has been in the game for a long time; he has made a lot of money and will continue to do so for years to come, trust me. But the women who listened to the original song and had to remember how they were once taken advantage of and they "didn't even know it" shouldn't be expected to take it lightly.

The discussion about rape culture is an ongoing one. We overlook the mockery of rape and the mental anguish victims have to endure because of it, and we defend those who are insensitive toward it because we're still scared to talk about it.

Rick Ross deserved to get dropped from Reebok and from the track, if not because he made a poor lyrical decision because he obviously doesn't care about representing himself as a brand.

The business is just that - business. If you're too scared to face the taboo discussion about rape, then at least realize how his poor decision making is bad for business.

Boss up or shut up.

Email: elva.aguilar@ubspectrum.com