Friday, May 10, 2024

Would you rather?

"Would you rather share a room with one of your siblings or move your room to the basement?" my stepmother asked me over winter break. I laughed, thinking this was an impromptu game of Would You Rather.

But she wasn't laughing.

My parents needed to separate my siblings who are now 8 and 9 years old, and these were the two alternatives.

I thought about the options: sharing a room with a sister would lead to impromptu sessions of doll-playing and dress up; a room with my brother would mean sleepless nights of snoring. I opted for the unfinished basement.

Moving out of my room of 10 years was a surreal experience. I thought about how I went through elementary, middle and high school living in that room. For the past two years, I was going to college while living there, too.

But living at home with my parents was never my ideal situation - I had always wanted to go away, dorm or live in an apartment to get the "full" college experience. After deciding to go to UB, however, I ended up becoming a commuter and remain at home with my parents.

Living at home was mainly a financial decision; it saved me a lot of money. In fact, over 50 percent of all college students in the United States live at home to combat the expenses of school, tuition and room and board, according to a recent study by Sallie Mae.

But I feel like I'm sacrificing a totally new experience for financial safety.

Sure, I call my basement dwelling the Bat Cave. I can do laundry on the same floor I sleep on and I get the occasional homemade meal, but I'm missing out on the experience of being on my own, experiencing new things and meeting new people.

Sometimes I feel like I would rather deal with wacky roommates, abnormal sleep patterns and learn to survive off of a diet of cereal and Ramen noodles, but everything has its ups and downs.

The question I have to answer is, "Would you rather live at home with your parents for less money or on your own and take the financial risk?"

I've decided that I want to move out as soon as possible. It would probably be best for my parents and me.

Maybe I will realize it's going to be a mistake or maybe I'll realize it won't be, but it's a mistake I'm willing to make.

Until then, I plan on making the most of what I have.

Email: ncturton@buffalo.edu