Students question SA's approach to become not-for-profit

UB's Student Association is closer to becoming a not-for-profit organization following Wednesday night's Assembly meeting.

Although the Assembly accepted SA President Travis Nemmer's motion to "support the SA in its continuing processes to reform itself as a not-for-profit corporation" with overwhelming support (20-1-4), the proposal was met with some criticism.

Carson Ciggia, SA presidential candidate of the Forward Party, and his running mate, Christian Andzel, have questions regarding the proposal that would incorporate SA.

"[Students] have no idea what this is," Andzel said. "I barely do, even after this meeting."

At the meeting, Nemmer pointed out the benefits of incorporating. In addition to making SA more transparent and the Senate run more smoothly, the main reason for the move is liability protection, according to Nemmer. By incorporating itself, SA would no longer be accountable for any possible lawsuits regarding incidents that happen within its sponsored activities.

Ciggia, an academic coordinator and Senate member, questions the negative repercussions that could come from becoming not-for-profit.

"It seems to me like there are more negatives than positives," Ciggia said. "But I think the student body has a right to know about it and I'm not opposed to looking into it."

The referendum will be held this coming week in the midst of e-board elections, which concerns Ciggia and Andzel.

Andzel said the student population needs to know more about what's going on before any sudden and irrational moves are made. He said the worst thing about voting is proposing a plan to uneducated voters.

Alex Dvorscak, a sophomore economics major, agrees informing the student population about what this change entails is a good idea. He still, however, thinks holding the referendum as soon as possible would be most beneficial.

In response to these concerns, Nemmer proposed a "town hall" type meeting to be held at UB. Anyone interested in the issue would be able to come and learn about the plan in a seminar-type environment and therefore be educated enough to vote on it.

The seminar does not have a specified date, and it is still unclear if it will happen before the referendum. E-board elections for the 2013-14 year will take place on March 26-27. Ciggia said the referendum could be intertwined with the election vote.

Nemmer, who spoke in favor of the seminar, reiterated the students' votes legally mean nothing in terms of the SA's ability to make changes.

"The reason I'm coming before this small body is not to have you support incorporation," Nemmer said in the meeting. "It's to have you support starting the conversation."

Ciggia and Andzel agree this conversation needs to be started. However, they're not sure there is enough time to educate students before the referendum vote.

Ciggia is concerned with administration's opinion. Nemmer told the Assembly he spoke with several administrators about his plan, who said to "go for it." But Ciggia said he has spoken to some of the same administrators, who he said have very little knowledge regarding the incorporation.

Dvorscak notes the largest factor behind his support is the liability issues incorporating will solve. In that sense, he is in favor of the process moving as fast as possible. He also acknowledges the students are the ones paying student activity fees that fund SA, so student involvement is vital in this process.

Nemmer stressed he doesn't need the permission of the Assembly, Senate or students to proceed with these changes. Instead, he is using the referendum as a way to gain support and incorporate feedback from them.

"There's a lot of things we can do without asking you," Nemmer said in the meeting. "That's just a function of our constitution."

His proposal states if the student body were to vote against the referendum, then SA's contract would allow them to reevaluate and change the plan accordingly.

If the not-for-profit incorporation goes into effect as planned, the students of 2014 will be able to see the changes, which won't be very drastic, according to Nemmer.

"We'll be the same obnoxious undergrads," Nemmer said. "Just with the 'Inc.' after and we won't get sued."