Weekend in Buffalo

For the young bohemian:

What: Second Friday at the Burchfield Penney Art Center

Where: Burchfield Penney Art Center, 1300 Elmwood Ave., Buffalo

When: Friday, Feb. 8, 5:30-7:30 p.m.

First Friday was last week at the Albright-Knox Art Gallery, and this week, it's Second Friday across the street at the Burchfield Penney Art Center. On Friday, Burchfield Penney will celebrate the opening of UB professor Bruce Jackson's photo exhibit, Being There, as part of its monthly Second Friday special opening. The gallery will extend its hours to 7:30 p.m. Admission is free and open to the public.

For the rager:

What: Back to School Dubstep Party

Where: The Forvm, 4224 Maple Rd, Amherst

When: Saturday, Feb. 9, 9 p.m. - 3 a.m.

Attention EDM lovers: if you're bored of gathering in a friend's dingy basement to hula-hoop amidst cheap laser lights, the Back to School Dubstep Party promises be an exciting - and perhaps more sanitary - alternative. Starting at 9 p.m., you can enjoy electronically induced elation while sipping $2 PBR cans, in addition to other specials to be announced as the night progresses. Local DJs Stuntman, Gh0st, Jolly Wailer, Pinja and Drooka will be playing full sets until 3 a.m., when the party ends. If you buy tickets presale or show a college ID at the door, you'll get in for $5, and if not, it's still only $7 admittance.

For the Fat Tuesday fiend:

What: The 18th-Annual Mardi Gras Parade and Festival

Where: Main Street and Allen Street, Buffalo NY

When: Tuesday, Feb. 12, 5 p.m.

All right, so it's not technically the weekend. Still, one of the biggest party nights of the year is upon us, and it would be a shame to let Fat Tuesday roll around without an idea of where to celebrate. Tuesday night at 5 p.m., the 18-Annual Mardi Gras Parade and Festival will commence in downtown Buffalo. The more spirited folks can create floats, costumes and puppets to accompany them while they march in the parade. Of course, those looking to just party can skip the parade altogether and hit the bars. Participating bars on Allen Street include hot spots like Neitzsche's and Duke's, in addition to downtown spots like Noir, Purple Monkey and Tap House.

For the literary genius:

What: Poetry reading, "New Poets, New Books"

Where: UB Anderson Gallery, 1 Martha Jackson Place, Buffalo

When: Saturday, Feb. 9, 2-5 p.m.

Not everybody's interested in nightlife, and not everybody's interested in getting dressed up and drunk every weekend, either. For the bookworms looking for somewhere to venture this weekend, various members of the UB community will be performing at a poetry reading in the Anderson Gallery near South Campus. The presentation is in conjunction with the Transmutation photo exhibit by Carl Chiarenza, who will also be reading his works. Poets Claire Gay, Lauren Gay, Geoffrey Gatza, Isaac Johnson, Patrick Riedy and Letson Williams will also be reading their works. UB professor David Hadbawnik, curator for the Poetry Collection at UB Michael Basinkski and assistant Edric Mesmer will also be in attendance to read their poems.