Rocky debut: Long. Live. A$AP album review

Long. Live. A$AP is an average effort

Album: Long. Live. A$AP

Artist: A$AP Rocky

Release Date: Jan. 15

Label: Polo Grounds Music/RCA

Grade: B-

It's not like A$AP Rocky at least had some momentum going his way. All of the bigger releases of the past few months already passed, and the projected Jan 15. release was far away enough to escape the shadow of Kendrick Lamar's monumental album. In theory, the one-month early leak would be harmful from a sale standpoint, but the surprise factor of having such an early leak could've translated to good publicity for Long. Live. A$AP.

Not the case. A$AP Rocky's much-anticipated debut didn't make that much of a splash in the coming weeks. It doesn't look like Long. Live. A$AP. will gain that much more attention on its actual release date with the Internet blogosphere going crazy over Justin Timberlake's newest release.

It's actually uncanny a song like "Suit & Tie" would overshadow A$AP's debut. The song has a celebratory party feel with Timbaland's lush instrumentals accompanying Timberlake's suggestive cooing. Having Jay-Z as a guest of honor doesn't hurt too much either.

A$AP is hosting a party of his own minus the suits, but with the urban-meets-European designers swagger. It's as if he's a jester as he seamlessly finds some sort of way to entertain in any setting, whether it's in the electronic blitzkrieg of "Wild for the Night" with Skillrex and Birdy Nam Nam or fashion runway-ready "Fashion Killa."

The problem is nobody really comes to the party for a jester; they come for the actual party, which fails if it doesn't have a proper host. Long. Live. A$AP.'s host, which is supposed to be A$AP, never actually arrives. The rapper's personality in this album comes across as too malleable, and he just doesn't leave the same impression as he did in his 2011 mixtape, Live. Love. A$AP. The result is a forgettable debut.

On his mixtape, the Harlem representative was galvanizing in its thumping opening track. Long. Live. A$AP.'s title track attempts to do the same but fails in what was essentially supposed to be a mission statement - a crucial moment. It feels alienating, especially in its awkward transition to its sing-song hook.

The listener hears "Who says you can't live forever?" It's an understandable sentiment, but it nowhere near relatable to the thrills of the "ball 'till you fall" mentality.

What brings the album down a little further is how it fails to deliver in what's supposed to be its biggest moments. Schoolboy Q and A$AP's prior collaborations - "Hands on the Wheel" and "Brand New Guy" - were outstanding. But on "PMW (All I Really Need)," he sounds far too contained.

"F***in' Problems," which features 2 Chainz, Kendrick Lamar and Drake - masters of delivering hip-hop thrills - doesn't feel visceral enough to be any more than a short-lived college party anthem. Posse cut "1 Train" is saved by solid verses by Big K.R.I.T and the hilarious Danny Brown.

"Antsy cause I'm high like Michael Jackson penny loafers/Moonwalkin' on the sun, barefoot with shades on," Brown raps.

The less-anticipated tracks actually save the album. "Wild for the Night" is a certified club banger, while the cinematic production of "Hell" - which features Santigold - has that slow burn that feels rewarding, and most importantly, replayable. Also, the beat selection remains top-notch throughout Long. Live. A$AP.

But when he reaches the reflective closing track, "Suddenly," the celebration doesn't feel earned. There's a feeling of unused potential.