Off and running

Track and field records record-breaking day

The track and field teams traveled to Ithaca, N.Y., on Saturday to compete in their second meet of the season: the Cornell Upstate Challenge.

The teams both secured second-place finishes in the seven-team competition.

The men's team won three events and broke two school records. Junior sprinter Miles Lewis ran his way into the Bulls' record books with a first-place finish in the 60-meter dash. Lewis finished the race in 6.76 seconds, a school record.

"We think Miles Lewis has a good chance to win the [Mid-American Conference] Championships in the 60 meters and the 200 meters," said head coach Perry Jenkins.

Lewis also placed first in the 200-meter run, with a 21.56, which was .07 seconds off the school record.

The men also saw success from sophomore Austin Price, who turned in another first-place finish for the Bulls in the triple jump. Price's first-place mark of 50'0.75" surpassed his best jump last week at the Eastern Michigan Triangular by almost three feet.

"It's been a long time since we had another 50-foot triple jumper," Jenkins said. "For [Price] to win the triple jump against some good jumpers from Cornell and Syracuse really tells you a lot about Mr. Price."

Sophomore Chris Reape also made the record books on Saturday with a performance that earned a second-place finish in the high jump event. Reape's 6'11.50" jump bested the school record of 6'10.75".

"I've been impressed with both of our high jumpers and the way they've performed so far," Jenkins said. "Chris Reape is a talented young man and I think he'll be somebody that's going to be in the hunt for that MAC Championship."

The men's team ended the day with 116 total points, a score that was second only to Cornell's 211.50 points.

The women's team also had a very strong showing on Saturday, finishing behind only Cornell, the host. Buffalo had three athletes finish first in their respective events.

The top three spots of the women's weight throw went to seniors Shante' White, Erin Miller and Kristy Woods. White's first-place throw of 60'6" was a season best for her, while Miller and Woods each threw personal bests.

In the women's 60-meter dash, freshman sprinter Malayah White placed first with a time of 7.68 seconds. White also finished third in the 200-meter dash, running the race in 25.24 seconds.

Junior Donna Jeanty recorded a first-place finish in the women's 500-meter run with a time of 1:14.49. The women's 4 x 400 relay team and the 4 x 800 relay team both achieved second-place finishes in their event. The collective women's team result was a score of 103 points, second to Cornell's 216 points.

Head coach Vickie Mitchell was impressed with her team's performance on Saturday, but she stressed the importance of staying focused.

"I don't think anyone is really overly satisfied or content with where they're at right now," Mitchell said. "This meet has just made us hungrier."

The Bulls will be back in competition on Friday, Jan. 25, at the SPIRE Midwest Invitational in Geneva, Ohio.