Fewer than 16 hours a day

International students adjust to the changes in their lifestyle in the U.S.

Yuehan Wang, a third-year economics graduate student, spent an average of 16 hours per day at school back in his home country of China. Wang, along with other Chinese children, did this for at least nine years.

That changed when he came to UB.

Many international students at UB, like Wang, come from vastly different education systems, and they must acclimate to the new environment. Through the assistance of offices such as the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) and clubs such as Chinese Student Association, students are able to transition easier from one educational atmosphere to another.

Many arrive in the United States specifically to seek higher education.

"In the last year of high school, everyone just focused and studied," Wang said. "All we did was sleep, eat and study."

Wang grew up in China and spent the majority of his education in his homeland. He came to the United States in 2010 to start his graduate studies.

Students who wanted to get into the best universities in China would spend the last half of their final year of high school studying feverishly, according to Wang. They were well aware of the fierce competition.

Wang remembers spending almost his whole day studying. His hard work paid off. Wang attended the Sichuan University, one of the best schools near his home. It is also considered among the top 10 universities in the whole country, Wang said.

Wang is currently the vice president of UB's Graduate Student Association and is the former president of the Chinese Students and Scholars Association.

Wang is one of the approximately 5,000 international students who come from 115 different countries, according to John Wood, senior associate vice provost for international education.

"China is the number one sending country," Wood said. "They're about 20 percent of the total."

Many Chinese students choose UB because they see the United States as the most powerful country in the world. With that in mind, it is only natural for them to gravitate toward the country, according to Wood.

Ji Hong Li, a senior civil engineering major, falls into that category. He decided to attend UB because of the country's strength and believed its education system must be just as strong.

America is home to some of the world's top universities, and its college education system takes on a holistic approach that does not make students focus solely on academics, according to Wood. College life in America involves on-campus student activities and multiple extra-curricular programs.

Many Chinese international students struggle to get accustomed to the American way of life and the academic system, Li said.

"It is a challenge not just for Chinese students but for students from many different countries," Wood said. "Because they'll find in the U.S. a very different cultural environment and academic environment."

ISSS has put in work to help international students make the transition from home easier. It helps students adjust to life in America, according to Wood.

The organization set up a mentorship program to match a new international student with a staff member - or an alumnus - to make these students feel more comfortable and help them learn about Western New York.

"I was excited to be here in America but also frustrated due to my poor English," Wang said. "I had problems with my landlord when I first came because I could not express myself well, thus causing me to fear speaking to native English speakers."

But by the end of his first semester, everything became easier despite the difficulties he experienced at the start. Wang's grades started to rise once he started his second semester.

Not everyone from China will face problems with the English language when they arrive, according to Li. It is a subject actively taught to students in China starting as early as grade school.

Everyone is used to the idea of having long school days and it seems to be the only way to work within the country, and, therefore, there has never been a wide protest to this issue, Li said.

"In China, both parents work so if students end school early, then they will have no where to go," Li said.

Some Chinese international students still have the habit of spending a lot of time studying here in America - especially when the first few months or first semester prove to be challenging, Wang said.

China is becoming increasingly wealthy and more families have the ability to send their children to countries like Australia, the United Kingdom and Canada. However, the United States remains the most desired destination, according to Wood.

"There's been a fairly rapid increase in the number of international students here at UB in the last five to 10 years," Wood said. "At the same time, in China, the Chinese government has rapidly expanded their higher education system and it is now the biggest in the world, even bigger than the one in the U.S."

Instead, the well-rounded approach to learning that is characteristic of U.S. higher education has proved to be advantageous for these Chinese international students. Wood said American students also stand to gain because international students like those from China display academic dedication that everyone can learn from.