Monday, April 29, 2024

Waves of love

Why you should date a musician

Love.

Placing this as the first word of my column will take each reader to a different conjecture. When you read "love," you're brought to a place - an abstract environment where your memories, your personality, even your current state of mind construct the term's definition.

When we spread love, we concentrate our minds on devotion, positive energy and harmony. We break through the bulls**t and hone in on someone or something like a prayer. We take what is outside of ourselves and bring it into the emotional and physical platforms.

To humor the reader, I'd like to state that love does all of this. But there's another word for love that I discovered not too long ago: music.

Feelings toward that special someone can be shallow, meaningful or indefinable, but can't we say the same about how we feel about music? Perhaps the feelings of your favorite song remind you of a loved one or vice versa.

Before I get too ahead of myself, I want to remind you that this column is my argument of why you should date a musician. But first, you have to understand that the musician whom you adore, or possibly don't even notice, is already in a relationship.

They're already dating music. And it looks serious, whether it's Facebook official or not.

Playing music is like being in love for the first time; the giddiness, the intimacy - it's all there in each movement, in each stroke. I used to joke with my bandmates about how we were making love when we practiced - but, in a more platonic way, that's exactly how it felt. I feel like I know the people I play music with more than I know my own mother. Through sharing melodies, rhythms and chords, we share our own personality and reveal ourselves to others in an emotional and sometimes spiritual way. We intertwine our personalities in a metaphysical space where there are no boundaries between one person and another.

So while your "rockstar" boyfriend certainly still loves you, he's really just joining your relationship into his relationship with music. This is how love songs are made: from the association of the subject with the medium - the joining of two loves into one.

Don't think this means his love for you is any less. In fact, the opposite is true. The greater an individual's passion is, the greater their passion is for you. Within their expression is you. For you are a part of their personality. You are their creation and simultaneously create through them. You see their devotion to their music and you become that devotion.

George Harrison's "Something," is a great example of how music can be a love for multiple sources. As part of the Hare Krishna movement, Harrison worshipped the female divine Goddess Krishna, who is one of many divine entities in Hindu scripture. Take a moment to listen to "Something" as a devotional polyamorous song.

"Something in the way she knows/And all I have to do is think of her."

These lines may be about a girl, but I think he wanted to show that his feelings of love go into and through a person, and inevitably into his Lord.

This is the type of love that musicians encompass every day. It's the most passionate expression I've ever found and through the divine intertwining of devotion for someone and something, you certainly won't need no other lover.

Dating a musician is like jumping into a pool of warm water, feeling the comfort of the energy and becoming what moves them.

You may never find a relationship quite like this.

Email: adrien.dangelo@ubspectrum.com