Monday, April 29, 2024

The Holiday Den

Gift ideas for musicians

Those pesky musicians are always the hardest people to shop for. Music gear is so expensive and precise that it makes loved ones afraid to buy anything other than a Guitar Center gift card. While this would be better than buying the wrong thing, gift cards never seem quite as thought out - it's the thought that counts, right? Let's break it down so you all become expert gift-givers. (I sure hope my parents read this.)

Product: Hohner 32O Ocean Melodica

Company: Hohner

Price: $70

For:Keyboardists/pianists/singers

Buying a grand piano or a Hammond organ for your cousin might not be in your price range and understandably so. But keyboard players really just want something they can play on the go to free themselves from the piano bench. Your cousin will be feeling groovy up on stage with a handheld cool-blue keyboard that sings like the ocean.

The melodica is a wind instrument similar to a harmonica, but with a keyboard that controls the pitch. It's often used in reggae and indie styles but can fit in with most other genres.

The Hohner 32 Melodica has 32 keys, a case, an extension hose and a tasty color scheme. Not to mention, it's relatively cheap.

Product: Key-tuned djembe

Company: Remo

Price: $100-$250

For: Drummers/Percussionists/world music enthusiasts

There's always that family member who likes to cause a ruckus and bang on things. It's an addiction for some, but instead of getting them help, we usually just get them another drum. A djembe (jem-bay) is a great gift for drummers because it's another portable instrument that's still stage-applicable.

Djembes, an instrument made popular in West Africa, are created in all shapes, sizes and styles. So finding a design that describes your loved one won't be a difficult task. Now what makes a key-tuned djembe a good choice is the fact they are rope-less. Tuning with rope can be a difficult task to learn to do correctly - unless you're a boy scout - and most drummers will have a drum key already, so they can tune the djembe just like they would a snare drum on their drum kit.

Product: Guitar strings

Company: Ernie Ball, D'Addario, Martin, Dean Markley etc.

Price: ~$15

For: Guitarists/bassists

It may seem obvious, but guitar strings are always a good gift for loveable string players. With consistent use, strings should be replaced about once a month, depending on the guitar. And the saddest moments in performance are when a broken string arises with no replacement available.

That's awkward.

You can save the day with a simple $10 gift. Just don't be intimidated by the different types of strings. You just need to know if your loved one's instrument is an acoustic guitar, an electric guitar or a bass guitar. This is absolutely crucial to buying the right strings. There are also different gauges or string thicknesses, but if you don't know what your stringed guy or girl prefers, you're pretty safe with medium gauge.

For bassists, round-wound strings are most commonly preferred to flat wounds. Round-wound strings sound brighter and are used for a multitude of different playing styles.

Product: Tibetan singing bowl

Company: Handmade overseas

Price: $30-$200

For: Devotional musicians/spiritual people

Those who involve themselves in the spiritual and calming practice of meditation will enjoy this 3,000-year-old Tibetan instrument. The "bowl" is actually classified as a bell. A wooden mallet dragged lightly around the bell produces a resonant tone that instills a sense of peace. The simplicity of singing bowls will allow anyone - musician or non-musician - to be able to use it without a learning curve.

Their ornamental design makes them lovely d?(c)cor in any space and their typically small size and weight add to their versatility.

Though singing bowls have been historically used for chanting and meditation, their distinct resonant tone makes this a great piece for the studio or for experimental musicians.

Chances are if you're shopping for that person who seems to have everything, they don't have one of these.