From professor to farmer

Twenty-five years ago, on her way home from work, Geri Hens had no clue she was living her last day as an outdoor sciences college professor.

Her life changed in a split second.

She was hit by a drunk driver.

Shesuffered injuries to her neck and back, and it was in the hospital that she had an epiphany. She knew it was time to make a career change.

It was her strong love for the environment that influenced her decision to start her first bee colony.

Twenty-five years later, the bees have taken over Hens' life. She now sells the honey her bees make at UB's Farmer's Market.

Before the accident, Hens was working hard toward her career as a professor. She attended UB during her graduate study, but ended up finishing her course work at Canisius College. She began teaching as a middle school teacher and eventually received her tenure. She then went back to school for a Ph.D. to become a college professor in Plattsburgh, N.Y.

The change has allowed her to discover and embrace her passion.

"[The accident] has allowed me to go out in life and do some different things and to me that was a gift," Hens said.

For twenty-two years, Hens' company, Hens Honey Bee Farm, has become the only New York State producer of USDA Raw Organic NY Native Wildflower and Tree Varietal Honey.

Producing over 16 varieties of honey, the company not only sells honey for consumption, but skin products as well. Hens sells her products in seven different markets including the UB Farmer's market, Clarence, Lockport, Elmwood and shops in Williamsville, N.Y.

It took months of training for Hens to become a master beekeeper through Cornell University. She still goes back to the university as a host of many events and workshops to help raise environmental awareness in organic products and negative changes in the ecosystem.

Her bee colony became stronger as she recovered from her accident. Her colony continued to grow, allowing her to build the honey business she has today.

Hens' bees are able to produce honey year-round, despite Western New York's brutal winter. This allows her to maintain her only source of income.

One of Hens' many customers, Ashley Cercone, a sophomore anthropology major, started to eat organic foods with her family a year ago. They taste better, according to Cercone.

Hens was one of the first farmers to join the UB market. She loves being a part of the UB Market because she is able to meet many different types of people from all over the Buffalo area.

One of those people is Barbara Keating, an Eastern European baker from Slovenia, who owns the Sweet Temptations du Jourstand at the market.

"This is my favorite market," Keating said. "I really enjoy meeting people from all over the world and one of my favorite things is to talk about food."

Besides managing her farm and bee keeping, Hens volunteers with non-profit organizations as well as mentors and consults farmers in organic beekeeping.

One of her biggest achievements was holding the vice president title of the Western New York Honey Producers' Association from 1999-2009.

However, sometimes she misses her past career as a teacher.

"To me, I'm still teaching," Hens said. "It's just in a different environment now outside of the classroom."

Hens continues to share her love for the environment with people through her various workshops and programs at different schools. She's currently working with other local farmers in the Western New York area to start a winter market for UB students and other Buffalo residents in order to make organic products accessible year-round.

"Because none of us know how much time we have, we need to use it wisely while we're here," Hens said. "I try to do positive things that help people every day and that's what keeps me going."