"Fall Fest fashion, for him and for her"

Be Cool, Don't Overdo It: What To Wear To Fall Fest

The first weekend of school is upon us and for surviving the barrage of syllabi we've been receiving all week, we are rewarded with our annual Fall Fest concert.

The purpose of thisconcert is to kick off a good year and to keep us relaxed, because a concert is really just one huge dope event that's supposed to be chill - with emphasis on chill. What you're wearing will dictate your whole attitude. I'm going to tell y'all what's what with your outfit, andin the process, you'll be ultra relaxed and not a miserable stiff.

The first order of business is the weather. It's going to be a comfortable 81 degrees on Saturday with a 9 mph breeze coming off the water to keep you cool so you won't be sweating profusely.

With weather like that, you can easily wear a tank top and feel good. Visit the Galleria Mall and go to Zumiez or Urban Outfitters to pick something up, or you can make your way down Grant Street and head into Krudmart to grab some 10.Deep, Rocksmith and Billionaire Boys Club. There's plenty of places to get a tank by Saturday.

For bottoms: don't come wearing jeans. They're hot, you can't move, and you'll get zero play if you're trying to lay up with a girl immediately after the show without a shower.

Don't come wearing hoopers (basketball shorts) either; that's beyond wack. This isn't the gym, bro, and you're not at the crib right now. What I've been rocking lately are denim shorts I've cut from my Levi's 501's. They're easy to make and convenient. Even if you have some old khaki's you don't wear anymore you can slice them up and throw them on as shorts.

For your feet, just throw on some canvas shoes. Don't overdo it with the new Nike Foamposites that are dropping on the 31st. Canvas shoes such as Vans or a pair of Chuck Taylors are perfect because they actually look better when they do get dirty and you can run, jump and dropkick in them without having to worry about creases. Don't be the guy wearing your grails to a concert,wondering why you can't get off those scuff marks from people stepping on your kicks.

Accessories are on you. The only thing I'll advise as an extra would be a hat. Snapbacks, fitteds, fedoras; anything with a brim will help block rays from the sun.

I want to say wear sunglasses, but it's easy to lose them when you're crowd surfing. Do not come wearing Beats by Dre headphones. You're at a concert; the music is on the stage in front of you, not in your cracked iPhone.

It's crazy I even have to say that, but it has been done before, and I'm not trying to see any UB student go out like that.

Everything I've listed is simple and pretty inexpensive. You just need to remember this concert is for pleasure; it's not a fashion show. If you come to a concert in your freshest outfit, I'm going to assume you're the type that gets done up to take three laps in the mall - grow up.

In this case simple is best, trust me.

Email: duane.owens@ubspectrum.com

Fall Fest fashion, for her

You may not be able to rock the stage like J. Cole Saturday night at Fall Fest, but you have the power to rock a killer outfit.

Concerts pose some tricky questions. What's appropriate? What's functional? What won't I regret putting on after the first half hour on my feet?

Some girls tend to take the fashion-over-comfort approach; sometimes six-inch heels are worth it. This isn't one of those times. With concert wear, comfort should be one of your top concerns. But don't make the mistake of thinking comfort means sacrificing looking fierce and fashionable. It's all about balance, ladies.

One of my biggest summer obsessions is high-waisted shorts. With most body types, they accentuate the smallest part of the waist; the cut helps slim your figure and makes your legs look longer. I'm also a sucker for a look that has a bit of a '70s throwback, which is the perfect vibe for any concert.

But since the concert is outdoors and at Baird Point, mosquitos will likely be looming. Shorts may not seem like the best go-to, but suffocating in jeans when you're about to be packed up against a bunch of sweaty individuals lacks appeal.

The perfect compromise is tights. They'll protect you from getting bitten up, they breathe and a funky print or design can liven up any outfit. Finding the right tights to complement a pair of shorts can be difficult, but black on black is a classic standby. A neutral bottom also provides you the freedom to do something bright or nontraditional on top.

Fall Fest provides you with an ample opportunity to get creative and fun, and wear something that is outside of the daytime norm. A fitted top that can be tucked in, or that cuts off at the short's waistline, is ideal if you're going to tryout the high-waisted look.

Most importantly, I implore you to leave the flip-flops and high heels at home. I know cheap Old Navy foam flip-flops are in most girls' wardrobes. I personally loathe them in general; all that will come from wearing them to a concert is crushed toes.

Heels? You're trying too hard. They're not appropriate or worth the discomfort.

Concerts are chill and your outfit should reflect that. Ankle boots will protect your toes and look great with tights. But Toms, Keds, Converse are all better than sandals - be comfortable.

My outfit breakdown:

My top is from Urban Outfitters. I snagged it online on clearance for $10, but midriff tops aren't hard to find at Urban in the $20 to $30 price range. The shorts are from Forever 21: the best place to get a trendy item that might be out of style next season. The shorts were under $15 dollars, and you can still get ones like them on the store's website for $14.80.

Urban has a wide variety of fun tights, but if you're not interested in splurging, Target has a similar variety for half the price. My fun tights were a total Target steal on sale for $4, but regularly priced Target's funky tights are around $8 to $15. My boots are Minnetonka. I love the playful fringe; they're around $50, but DSW carries the brand discounted if you're on a tighter budget.

My best advice is to wear something you feel comfortable in, but don't be scared to try something different. The night is about having fun and listening to music. But there's no reason you can't look as fly as Childish Gambino.

Email: sara.dinatale@ubspectrum.com