Cole on the Move: a brief rundown of Fall Fest headliner J. Cole

UB's Fall Fest 2012 headliner, J. Cole, enters Alumni Arena on fire.

Jermaine Lamar Cole's recently released single, "The Cure," was positively received by fans for its lyrical content and flow - skills the North Carolina rapper has been known for through his whole career. The song was also notable because it hinted at a future project for the rap star after months of minute music output.

The supposed project would be another J. Cole event that he has had under wraps. This year he announced that he and the lauded Kendrick Lamar would be working on a collaborative mixtape. Talk about a duo. Plus there are reports circulating about another project with fellow heavyweights Big Sean and Meek Mill. J. Cole is partnering with hip-hop heavyweights all over.

A lot has been in the works for J. Cole in 2012, and his performance at Fall Fest on Sept. 1 should bring out masses of students.

The Student Association previously had J. Cole as a target for last semester's Spring Fest, since the rapper ranked among the top two artists requested by the student body in a survey. He seemed like a viable option: singles from his acclaimed debut album, Cole World: The Sideline Story, were still slightly popular months after its September release, and he was touring during the spring semester. SA couldn't book him for Spring Fest, however, because of prior commitments.

But after months of planning by SA president Travis Nemmer's organization, the students will be able to see J. Cole perform after the organization's second consecutive attempt. Cole - who's joined by French Montana and Childish Gambino - will headline the first purely hip-hop Fall Fest since 2009, which featured Lupe Fiasco, Busta Rhymes, Jadakiss, and Common. It's worth noting, however, that the past two Spring Fest concerts have been all hip-hop.