Monday, April 29, 2024

The Three-Day Snoozefest

It's 8 p.m. on Thursday, I sit down in front of my TV and wait.

That's the basis of the NFL draft. Sitting and waiting.

Fans sit down in front of their T.V. probably wearing a jersey for no apparent reason and watch four names be called every hour.

That's it.

It's probably the most overhyped event in all of sports. We as sports fans spend months leading up to the event watching Todd McShay and Mel Kiper break down every breath the players take.

We watch John Gruden sit down with six different quarterbacks and break down film, pretending that it actually has some importance as to where they'll be drafted.

Finally, when draft day comes we make way too big of a deal.

Sitting for four hours to watch one person's name get called.

We pretend that they're all going to be future stars, and at the end of the day, it's just a crapshoot.

Let me break down this year's top-10 picks:

Somewhere between four and six players will be pro-bowlers, making the team that drafted them look like geniuses.

Two or three players will be solid role players for their team, contributing, but will never be what people thought they'd be when they walked across the stage on draft night.

At least one player, possibly as many as three will be out of the league within three seasons, or buried so far on the depth chart that he might as well be.

I'm not trying to be a mock draft expert by criticizing this year's bunch of prospects; this happens every draft.

That's just the top 10. Forget about those guys called after the fourth round. Eighty percent of which will be career special teamers or cut by September.

I understand for people like Bills fans the draft provides hope, and there's nothing wrong with caring about the decisions your team makes in the draft.

I know I'll be paying attention to it all weekend.

But I'm not going to sit and watch it in its entirety. That won't happen, and I suggest you don't either.

But for those who will, try not to be the guy who blows up my news feed with know-it-all posts about how you can pick better than your team's general manager.

It's OK to be excited about your team's players or dislike a pick, but you don't know more than Buddy Nix.

Oh and one more thing, the NHL playoffs are underway, and the NBA playoffs are about to start. If you're in need of a sports fix, try watching a real game.

If you watch all three days of draft, then I'm sorry you wasted an entire weekend.

Email: sports@ubspectrum.com