Monday, April 29, 2024

For the Love of the Game

The "Dream Team" at the 2012 Olympics will be called the "Green Team" if Dwayne Wade has anything to say about it.

On Wednesday, Wade stated that he thinks athletes should be monetarily compensated for their participation in the Olympic games.

The Olympics are widely made up of amateur athletes who have to make due, improvise, and work odd or part time jobs in order to finance their training and participation in the games.

For 16 years, Home Depot employed athletes part-time with flexible scheduling to give them the opportunity to train. The program ended in 2010 because of what the company cites as "economic issues," but in that time it managed to employ over 600 American athletes who won 145 medals.

I'm sure none of those 600-plus athletes want to hear Dwayne Wade - who will make nearly $16 million this year prior to endorsements - complain about needing to be paid to compete on behalf of his country.

Yes this is America, home of the opportunist, but the Olympics aren't the place to finance a new beach house Dwayne.

I actually have no problem with him wishing he was paid - I mean he gets paid $1 million for every six basketball games he plays under the current structure of his NBA contract. Like it or not, this is his job, and he is performing the same duties pro bono during the Olympics.

My problem is that he said it.

Wade usually comes off as a pretty smart guy, so I'm actually shocked he would say something so stupid.

Here's the thing, D-Wade: the American people don't want to hear you complain that you feel you need to be compensated in order to represent us - in what most people view as an honor - on the world stage.

The man had a $230,000 McLaren sports car airlifted onto a hotel patio for his 30th birthday party on Jan. 17. I know people are always hungry for more money - but he's clearly not hurting for it.

The Olympics are the pinnacle event in most sports - swimmers, gymnasts, and a host of others work their whole lives just for the two-week span of events.

If you think it's a chore to participate, than maybe you shouldn't be going.

If you don't understand how important the event is, Dwayne, then don't go - and maybe you should ask the friendly cashier at Home Depot how important it is for them.

Email: tyler.cady@ubspectrum.com