"December 5, 2008, Remember that Date"

The 2008 football had the only the winning record in program history since joining the FBS (Formally Division-1A) in 1999.

For the freshmen that arrived on campus that fall, that team gave them a lot of to cheer about on Saturdays.

The Bulls were coming off a share of the 2007 Mid-American Conference East Regular Season title, but failed to go to the conference championship game because they lost the tiebreaker. The Bulls came back the following year and won the MAC East outright with a 5-3 conference record.

The University of Texas-El Paso quickly found out how good Buffalo was that year, as the Bulls put a 42-17 beat down on El Paso in the first game of the season.

After suffering a loss at Pittsburgh, Buffalo returned home for its first conference matchup and fans witnessed arguably the best sports moment in Buffalo history.

Temple took the lead with 38 seconds left in the game. Quarterback Drew Willy led the Bulls to the Temple 35-yard line then threw a Hail Mary pass to wide receiver Naaman Roosevelt as time expired to clinch a 30-28 victory. The fans poured out of the stands to celebrate with the team. The play was a finalist for the Pontiac Game Changing Performance of the Year on ESPN.

The Bulls continued with the dramatics throughout the season as they complied a 3-1 overtime record, including a 43-40 quadruple overtime win at Akron.

The Bulls were able to reach the conference title for the first time in program history but would have to face the No. 12 team in the country, Ball State. The Cardinals entered the game undefeated and with a win, had a chance to play in a BCS game.

Ball State was in control early and appeared to have scored another touchdown but the call was reversed and the Cardinals were inside the 3-yard line.

The next play Buffalo forced a fumble and took it 92 yards for a touchdown. On the very next set of downs, NFL Draftee Nate Davis lost Ball State's fourth fumble, which set up a Bulls touchdown.

The Bulls went on to win the game 42-24 and earn an invitation to a Bowl Game for the first time in 50 years and ending years of frustration as a struggling Division-1 program.

"So many people told us we couldn't do it," former athletic director Warde Manuel told The Spectrum after the game. "The belief of the kids and the community and the university to be where we are today is just over-whelming."

The win sent the Bulls bowling to the International Bowl against Connecticut.

This would be the first bowl game the Bulls ever competed in, having declined a bid to the 1958 Tangerine Bowl because officials wouldn't let the two African-American players on the team play.

In the International Bowl, the Bulls fell victim to current Colts running back Donald Brown's speed and lost 38-20. The squad finished with an 8-6 record, still the best record since joining Division-1.