Pinning Their Prey

A major portion of being a Division-1 athlete involves a strong, healthy diet.

For most, a weekly trip to the supermarket would suffice. But for a pair of wrestlers, sophomore James Loomis and senior Tyler Peter, a hunting trip is more than enough to bring a healthy meal to the dinner table.

Hunting is seen as a hobby for most, but Loomis and Peter get a little more out of the sport.

"Every time I hunt I'll eat it," Peter said. "I don't ever waste anything that I shoot. It's kind of unsportsmanlike."

On days when wrestling is not in session Loomis and Peter take every chance they get to go out and catch new prey. If they happen to come home with a score that day, the garage turns into their very own kitchen.

"We have all the equipment and tools to clean the animals in the garage," Loomis said. These two vigorous athletes find the time to prepare the meat on their own – a process that might make anyone but a butcher or experienced hunter queasy.

Loomis and Peter use a three-step process when preparing their catch: First, you skin the animal. Then you cut off all the preferred meat. Finally, you clean it.

The pair then often stores their catch in bags in the freezer to save for the next time they need a meal.

The two both hail from Mexico, NY. Although they reside in Buffalo for much of the year, Peter admitted the Queen City is not his preferred hunting destination.

"Back home I have some secret spots," Peter said. "It's in the woods, that's what I tell people when they ask where it is."

Like any skilled and experienced hunter, Peter won't give in to telling anyone where the hunter can be most successful at catching his or her game.

While the two admit to being fond of hunting turkey, their favorite victim is venison, or deer.

"Turkey is good, but a lot of what I like to eat is venison," Loomis said. "It's a lot bigger animal so you get more out of it."

The more food the better for these Division-1 athletes. Wrestling is a sport that requires both strength and size, and these two wrestlers find that the meat they cook has actually been a benefit to their diets, as they say it's a healthier, leaner meat.

During the season, wrestling can be extremely time consuming for those on the team. The two don't find all that much time to pursue their hobby in season but they try to make the most of it.

But with the wrestling season coming to a close, rest assured Loomis and Peter will still be busy in the offseason.

"Turkey hunting starts in May so that whole month I go, which is good because it's right when I get out of school," Loomis said.