Bulls Fall Short to Conference's Top Team

On paper, the women's basketball team shouldn't have been able to even compete with the seven-time defending Mid-American Conference champions; but for 40 minutes the Bulls gave Bowling Green all it could handle.

Buffalo (7-19, 2-10 MAC) took to the road Wednesday evening as it faced Bowling Green (21-5, 11-1 MAC) in the Bulls' first trip to the brand new Stroh Center. After holding a slim lead at half the Bulls battled the Falcons all the way until the end, but failed to pull off the upset, losing 62-52.

Buffalo has struggled mightily this season as it currently sits in last place in the MAC. On the opposite end of the spectrum, Bowling Green has dominated the MAC for the better part of the last decade. A loss to Toledo (17-7, 10-2 MAC) on Saturday snapped the Falcons' 18-game win streak within the MAC.

The Falcons came out flat and the Bulls took full advantage, keeping a lead throughout the first half. Senior guard Epeshia Holmes took over the starting role at point guard as sophomore Margeaux Gupilan was not able to make the start due to illness.

Holmes got off to a hot start, scoring seven of the Bulls' first nine points. Holmes' hot hand would eventually cool off as she finished with only nine points, and shot 3-of-13 from the field.

Buffalo hung blow for blow with the Falcons for much of the game, and trailed by only four with a minute to play. But a bucket by sophomore Alexis Rogers and a steal on the defensive end seemed to put the dagger into the hopes of the Bulls' possible mammoth victory.

"We had opportunities we just couldn't close it," Hill-MacDonald said. "At the end when we needed to score we didn't step up and knock down baskets. That's kind of the story of the past couple games – we put ourselves in position to be in it at the end and possibly win it, we're just missing those critical baskets."

Rogers led the way for the Falcons with an impressive 16-point and 12-rebound double-double. Late game free throws allowed senior Jessica Slagle to accumulate 19 points, and shot a confident 9-of-11 from the free throw line.

On a night where the Bulls forced 20 turnovers from the MAC's top team, rebounding woes and poor shooting would result in their demise.

"I was really proud of the way we defended," Hill-MacDonald said. "We really made Bowling Green have to work for every basket.

Senior guard Brittany Hedderson dropped in only 15 points, five shy of her team leading 20 points per game. Hedderson shot a damaging 6-of-23 from the floor. After a poor shooting performance on Saturday as well (7-of-24), back-to-back shooting struggles from her is something Bulls' fans are not accustomed to seeing.

The rest of the team did not turn in a strong shooting performance either. The Bulls finished the night shooting 31 percent from the field.

Second leading scorer, sophomore Nytor Longar, fouled out of the game after only 13 minutes of action. Her frontcourt mate, senior Beth Christensen, would pick up the slack for Longar's absence. She logged 38 minutes and was able to pull down 10 rebounds.

The Bulls have four more games remaining on their slate in conference play, three of which are at home. On Saturday afternoon Miami (Ohio) (18-7, 8-4 MAC) will come to Alumni Arena.

"Miami has great shooters, they're a very smart team," Hill-MacDonald said. "I think it's going to be what happens at the defensive end, playing 40 minutes of solid defense, not giving them wide open looks, and taking advantage of their weaknesses."

The Bulls will attempt to prevent the Redhawks from making a late season push at first place in the MAC's East division. The game will tip at 2 p.m.