Spring Semester Video Game Preview

Spring Semester Video Game Preview

NICOLAS PINO and JAMES TWIGG

Senior Arts Editor and Senior Managing Editor

Soul Calibur V

Release Date: Jan. 31

Platforms: PlayStation 3, Xbox 360

There's no better way to start the New Year than settling some old scores with friends, and thankfully the developers at Namco have your back with one of 2012's most highly-anticipated fighters, Soul Calibur V. From busty babes to cursed blades and even a special appearance by Ubisoft's Italian assassin, Soul Calibur Vhas all the markings of a champion in the making.

Final Fantasy XIII-2

Release Date: Jan. 31

Platforms: PlayStation 3, Xbox 360

With Lightning stuck on temple duty for the foreseeable future, it's time for protagonist and little sister Serah to take center stage along with the mysterious time-traveling swordsman, Noel Kreiss. For jRPG fans there's almost no greater holiday on the Gregorian calendar than the release of a new Final Fantasy, and with characters this in-depth and added locations entirely unknown to players, this is one direct sequel that just may have a chance to succeed where its PlayStation 2 precursor could not.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Release Date: Feb. 7

Platforms: PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC

Hailed as the latest entry in the relatively niche genre of massively single-player role-playing games, Kingdoms of Amalur may not have a prequel to speak of but with a team of R.A. Salvatore, Spawn's Todd McFarlane, and Ken Rolston of Elder Scrolls fame working out the game's story, art, and production direction respectively, there's little chance this game won't have players ejecting that copy of Skyrim for the first time in four months.

Twisted Metal

Release Date: Feb. 14

Platform: PlayStation 3

While David Jaffe's realm of vehicular carnage enjoyed its near six year hiatus from its last PlayStation Portable appearance, it's time for Sweet Tooth, Axel, and all the rest to return to the asphalt fray in 2012's PS3 exclusive, Twisted Metal. Even without full details on the game's level designs, weapon pick-ups, and game modes, players can expect the same gore-filled, explosion-laden nostalgia they've come to know and love, now in full high-definition when the game comes to consoles mid-February.

Uncharted: Golden Abyss

Release Date: Feb. 22

Platforms: PlayStation Vita

The cocksure Nathan Drake is back for more treasure-hunting excitement with his first foray into the portable playground in Uncharted: Golden Abyss. Though this will be the first entry into the series not developed by Naughty Dog, fans still have plenty to look forward to as the title promises the same frenetic firefights, stimulating story, and addictive gameplay present in the previous installments. Who knows, maybe this time Drake will actually get the treasure.

SSX

Release Date: Feb. 28

Platforms: PlayStation 3, Xbox 360

Tired of all the ice and snow? No need to worry, EA will be giving you all the fresh virtual powder you can shred with its SSX revamp in just over a month. With the inclusion of avalanches, helicopter drops, and sheisty slopes, the latest entry in the series looks to be a grittier experience and shouldn't be recommended for any green circle gamers.

Mass Effect 3

Release Date: March 6

Platforms: PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC

With Reapers breathing down Earth's proverbial neck, Shepard will be called into duty for one final galactic military tour as it's up to the crew of the Normandy to once again save the universe's backside. Featuring integrated Kinect controls, returning crewmember favorites, and an updated Artificial Intelligence engine ready to tear players a new black hole, Mass Effect isn't the only series to receive a special two sequel ending, but this trilogy might just be the greatest.

Mario Party 9

Release Date: March 11

Platforms: Wii

With all the gore, guns, and explosions gracing consoles in the coming months, it's easy to forget that there are still wholesome games out there that gamers of any age can enjoy. The quintessential example of which is the upcoming board-game-esque Mario Party 9. So get ready to grab some friends, roll some dice, and score some stars.

Ninja Gaiden 3

Release Date: March 20

Platforms: PlayStation 3, Xbox 360

Ryu Hayabusa triumphantly returns to the definitively difficult, incredibly frenetic, and outrageously sanguine world of Ninja Gaiden, this time with more blood, guts, and ninja-on-ninja action than ever before. While little has been said about the game's forthcoming plot, a great deal of speculation has been given to Hayabusa's bloodied appearance. While there's little doubt Team Ninja's progeny isn't losing his edge, Hayabusa seems to be in some serious trouble. As for what, gamers will just have to wait and see.

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City

Release Date: March 20

Platforms: PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC

The release of Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City will mark the birth of a new kind of monster from Capcom. While still set in the zombie-infested RE universe, the latest iteration will break away from the traditional survival-horror breed of gameplay that the series has become so synonymous with and instead focus on third-person squad-based shooter mechanics. Hopefully for Capcom, the new approach will be infectious enough to turn RE5 naysayers back into undead-heads.

Kid Icarus: Uprising

Release Date: March 23

Platform: Nintendo 3DS

Though originally announced as a console release title, Uprising has seen its fair share of delays, roadblocks, and electronic entertainment adversity but through it all this shining revamp of the classic series will finally bring the 3-D realm something to brag about. Split between aerial levels and its corresponding ground battle, each arena should present players with a protagonist worthy of his place among "the big ‘N'" pantheon of characters.

Max Payne 3

Release Date: May 15 (May 29)

Platforms: PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, (PC)

Remember when nuanced gameplay mechanics like "Bullet Time" were actually in the minority of shooting games? Not many do, but the grandfather of the Bullet Time effect is back in its third iteration with a plethora of guns, drama, swanky time-altering slow-downs stocked up and ready to go when the game hits shelves mid-May for console gamers and two weeks later for gamers of the "point-and-click" variety.