Mixtape Monthly

RaekwonUnexpected Victory

He's part of the legendary hip-hop collective Wu-Tang Clan. He's responsible for releasing Only Built 4 Cuban Linx and its sequel, two highly acclaimed albums that solidified his solo career and put him in high ranks as a lyricist in the hip-hop community.

However, Raekwon's current mixtape, Unexpected Victory, has left listeners not only disappointed, but confused. Raekwon hasn't advertised any upcoming studio albums or Wu-Tang collaborations, which leaves fans bewildered by the purpose of Unexpected Victory.

In an attempt to expand his fan base along with keeping the adoration of long time fans, Raekwon tries to fuse his renowned gangster rap-style with today's popular theme of hip-hop decadence. Raekwon also tries to merge old and new by featuring 21 artists and 15 producers on this collaboration.

The lyrics on this mixtape is up to par with previous works by Raekwon, but it seems that allowing too many producers is what deterred this mixtape from becoming a cult classic.

On "Chinese Marines," Raekwon teams up with fellow New York rap veterans, Havoc and Prodigy of Mobb Deep, and do what they do best: depict the dog-eat-dog world they live in.

What made this song lackluster, however, was the less than infectious beat that juxtaposed the hard-hitting, violent, Mafioso rhymes.

Raekwon's lone solo track, "A Pinebox Story," is proof of what could've been had it not been so crowded with the extra personnel. Produced by 9th Wonder, this song outlines the troubles of looking to the streets to survive and the not-so-happy ending that crime will result in.

Although there are no disputes about Raekwon's abilities as a rapper, the biggest mistake he made was handing over the reins way too many people.

T.I. – F*** Da City Up

Clifford Harris, better known as T.I., put out his latest mixtape, F*** Da City Up, on New Year's Day. It is his first release since he finished serving his prison sentence last fall.

Despite a PR front that includes a book deal, a reality TV show, and appearances with the likes of Taylor Swift, this mixtape dispels any assumptions that T.I.'s musical content and style will change for his upcoming album Trouble Man.

T.I. has a reputation of collaborating with top-notch artists and FDCU is no different. Having kept a watchful eye out while he served his time, T.I. recruited the likes of Pusha T, 2 Chainz, Nelly,Meek Mill, and protégé B.o.B. to accompany him on this project, and everybody delivered.

T.I. maintains an aloof persona throughout the whole mixtape but also gives room for his featured artists to shine. "Loud Mouth" features 2 Chainz, whose name has been all over the hip-hop community. Although T.I. did open the song strongly, he ultimately opens the door for 2 Chainz to shine on this track.

In true 2 Chainz fashion, the Atlanta rapper mixes his unique lyricism, humor, and hilarious fluctuations to take the title of best verse on the song.

On "I'll Show You," T.I. collaborated with G.O.O.D. Music lyricist Pusha T. The anticipation for this track was high considering the two are part of hip-hop's small circle of elite emcees.

T.I.'s verse on this track is a lyrical manifestation of pounding his chest and proclaiming his presence to reclaim his kingdom in the rap game – not only to Pusha,but to his competition.

FDCU definitely displayed T.I.'s excitement to be back in the studio and continue following his calling. The only expectation this mixtape didn't meet was diversity. T.I. is known to have different styles on his more recent albums, and this mixtape was geared more to his urban fans than mainstream.

There is no doubt, however, that T.I. won't pull out all the stops on Trouble Man, which is slated to appear in stores this February.

Rick Ross – Rich Forever

A big part of Rick Ross' persona is his perceived fearlessness. It's one of the aspects that makes his boss-like mythos believable. No matter how preposterous his drug kingpin fantasies are, and no matter how many detractors he may have, nothing can topple him because the king stays the king in the Rick Ross storyline.

However, there is one thing that Rick Ross is afraid of – "brokenness."

It's what drove him throughout his outstanding 2011 campaign. It seemed as if Rick Ross was in every remix to nearly every hip-hop banger during the year. Even after suffering two seizures last October, Rick Ross marched back to the studio and continued to impress, and even went as far as calling the two incidents minor setbacks on the "Ima Boss" remix.

Work ethic seems to be one of the only things keeping Rick Ross away from his kryptonite. Rich Forever, Rick Ross' latest mixtape, is the embodiment of that fact. The mixtape promotes his forthcoming album, God Forgives, I Don't. Rich Forever makes numerous allusions to the anticipated release, but Rick Ross doesn't forget that he still must bring the heat – lest he fall victim to his kryptonite.

Rick Ross' charisma shines throughout the mixtape, and his delusions of grandeur provide some of its better moments. In "Holy Ghost," guest Diddy pleads to God Himself for protection from the fear of losing it all, a problem that Rick Ross has colloquially dubbed "brokenness."

"Being dead broke is the route of all evil," Ross raps.

The Maybach Music Group leader also steps back from painting pictures to play the role of enforcer in "High Definition."

He threatens to "blow out your brains before you give me a case," a surprising line from someone who's on top of his game. Later in "Triple Beam Dreams," Rick Ross has no problem defending his gangster ambitions against street-weary prophet, Nas.

The mixtape is overwrought and repetitive at times, but the detours are worth it when the smoke clears with Drake's outstanding verse in the finale, "Stay Schemin'."

Drake vehemently states, "B**** you wasn't with me shooting in the gym."

The song is the latest in excellent Drake/Rick Ross collaborations including "Lord Knows" and "Aston Martin Music," and will make fans salivate for their upcoming collaborative mixtape, YOLO.

Rich Forever is another great addition to Rick Ross' career, even though it's just a preview of the big things to come. If this collection of songs is any indicator, 2012 should be another year to remember for the Boss.