Ode to The Spectrum

This ode is to my peers who never give up.

Who spend hours in the office; a fluorescent filled box,

Eyes glued to computer screens next to piles of coffee cups,

Focused and dedicated, working hard around the clocks.

From late night antics with swinging baseball bats,

To being there for each other when long days took their toll,

I'm so thankful I was able to work with such talented writers.

But I'm leaving The Spectrum, with all its good times and laughs

I'll miss the energy, the work, the people, the trolls.

I won't ever forget these days, and the people who have made my life brighter.

The Spectrum is an adventure I'll always remember. Before I wrote for the paper, I never realized how big of a production it was to put it together every other day. Since being a part of this dedicated team of students, I respect their enthusiasm and appreciate what they are able to pull together. It always upsets me to hear some of the negativity students across campus have to say about the final product.

Working for the paper has been one of the most intense, yet rewarding, things I have done in my college career. I can't count the all-nighters, pounds of coffee consumed, or the collective hours I've spent on just one article. But the life lessons I've learned and the relationships I've built by being here were completely worth it.

It will be strange going back to the rhythm of college before The Spectrum came into my life. I can't imagine a Tuesday, Thursday, or Sunday where I don't walk into room 132 Student Union.

I can't thank everyone enough for all of the support they have given me. I was a rookie, jumping from staff writer to senior editor in just one semester. It was a tough transition, and without my peers I wouldn't have been able to make it.

I appreciate all the time we've shared together and I'm sad to go. But The Spectrum has made a lasting memory for me, and though this is ‘goodbye,' I'm sure I'll find ways to weasel back into the office somehow!

Thank you again, everyone, for all that you've done. You are amazing people and I'll miss working with you all.

Email: akari.iburi@ubspectrum.com