Occupy NBA Headquarters

I can't sleep. I'm having nervous breakdowns. I'm just not myself.

I don't have the NBA.

To some, the above statement appears more ludicrous than Kim Kardashian's divorce. At the same time, others can completely relate.

I was just 8 when I fell head over heels for the National Basketball Association. Ah, my first love. I really didn't know what I was getting into when I flipped on that 15-inch television in my kitchen. I had no idea of the hilarity that would ensue when I turned on the 2000 NBA Slam Dunk Contest.

"Here is the man the crowd has waited to see: Vince Carter," belted Marv Albert.

True basketball fans know exactly what happened from there on out. Following five Carter dunks, endless jaws hitting the floor, and several shrieks from analyst Kenny Smith – like "Let's go home" and "IT'S OVER!" – basketball had been changed forever.

And so had I. I was in love with the NBA and there was nobody who could stop my love affair. The first email address I ever made was "NBAobsessor15" – with the 15 serving as homage to Vince Carter's number. My password? "VinceCarterFan." At 8, I had found my passion. I bought Carter's jersey, as well as the jerseys of many other NBA players.

Over time, I grew to love college basketball as well. March Madness is unlike anything else. You've got to love the top 25, raging student sections, and raucous upsets. Now I question which game I love more – professional or college – but I still have that soft spot for the NBA.

I miss the big contracts, cocky attitudes, and absurd press. Sports fans know what's going on right now in the league. They know the regular season was supposed to start this week, but it didn't because of the NBA lockout. As if we didn't get enough lockout nonsense from the NFL.

I think I can speak for everyone when I say that I don't care who wins. I don't care if the owners get their way or the players get their pay.

I don't even remember who won the NFL lockout, or who got the better deal, or who was happy afterwards. I just know that I'm enjoying an NFL season – "the year of the passer" – for the ages right now.

Give me the game. Give me dunks, 3-pointers, nightly matchups, and storylines.

I want to see Dwight Howard send a shot into the 15th row. I want to see Kobe hit a clutch shot and LeBron, well…not. I want to see Blake Griffin take up three spots on Sportscenter's top 10 plays.

We can't all get what we want. Maybe I won't get to see NBA play at all this year. Perhaps there won't be illustrious matchups on Christmas like Heat-Mavericks (what fan doesn't want to see that?). Beyond the gift giving and family time, NBA basketball is the true catalyst that makes Christmas special for me – and many other

basketball fans – every year. It'd be a shame to lose those games.

If we're being honest, the players and owners can get by without the NBA for one year. They all have plenty of money.

But we – the fans – are the ones missing out.

Someone make a compromise. Someone stop being stubborn and just give in.

Rally with me, basketball fans. We don't care about the bucks. Give us some ball.

Email: aaron.mansfield@ubspectrum.com