No Shave November raises money for prostate cancer research

From Fu Manchus to muttonchops, General Lees to dirt lips, the month of November is decorated by dedicated members of society willing to sport a mustache or grow a beard for the sake of men's health.

This bearded phenomenon called "Movember," popularly known across UB's campus as No Shave November, sprouted in 2003 with its origins rooted in Melbourne, Australia.

On Nov. 1, men celebrate the art of bearding as they shave one last time and dedicate themselves to 30 days of growth.

What began as a mere mustache growing competition between Luke Slattery, Travis Garone, and 30 of their friends, has flourished into a global men's health awareness journey for thousands of dedicated mustached men.

By 2007, the hairy trend grew nine countries strong. Officially expanding its influence to New Zealand, the U.S., Canada, the U.K., Finland, the Netherlands, Spain, South Africa and Ireland. Today, thousands of men worldwide annually ditch razors for furry faces in support of prostate cancer foundations and other male health-related issues.

"Bring on the beards," said Marjorie McAllister, a first year law school student and supporter of Movember.

Eric Ghiandoni, a freshman biomedical engineering major, has been participating in the annual event since his sophomore year of high school. Though he admits that he can't grow a full beard, he's dedicated to grow his "crustache" every year in honor of the cause.

"Even though it looks bad, you should still stick with it because it's funny to look at," Ghiandoni said. "You got to believe."

The Movember Foundation, founded in 2004, allows participants to register their names and mustaches online to raise money through sponsors.

Money raised by dedicated bearded comrades, also known as "Mo Bros," in the U.S. is donated to programs run by Movember, the Prostate Cancer Foundation, and LIVESTRONG, according to the U.S. Movember website.

One out of every six men is diagnosed with prostate cancer in his lifetime. This year, about 240,890 new cases are estimated to sprout with 33,720 men losing their lives to the common cancer, according to the American Cancer Society.

In 2010, over 64,500 men registered online on the Movember website in the U.S., and raised $7.5 million in donations, more than doubling its numbers from 2009 with 28,223 registrants and $3.2 million raised.

Joe Carelli, a junior communication major and dedicated "Mo Bro," annually grows out his beard and looks forward to the occasion.

"I kind of just like the carefree attitude of it," Carelli said "[It's] not only just challenging myself, [but also] against my friends to see who can endure it the most."

Carelli plans to shave his beard before the renewal of his license. He doesn't want to keep the beard for the picture and do something he will regret, according to Carelli.

"I looked at pictures of my clean shaved face and I looked 90 percent less of a bum," Carelli said.

But as November creeps to an end, so does the reign of creative facial fiascos ranging in style from full-on beards to classy 'staches.

"I will admit, some of the guys in our class came back from break with…no beard, and I was like, ‘it's weird,'" said Gabriella Agostinelli, a first year law school student. "You just took 10 years off yourself and you're only 22 years old."

Others like Paul Baumann, a freshman aerospace engineering major, participated in No Shave November for the first time this year and plans to keep his beard until the summer. His girlfriend, Diana Rudz, a freshman biomedical engineering major, is a strong supporter.

"It's fuzzy, I like to touch it," Rudz said. "I think it feels nice. A lot of girls don't like it. I like it."

Not all people support the time of year when men allow their whiskers to roam free. Groups on Facebook such as Anti No Shave November! or Girls Against ‘No Shave November' express their dislike for the hairiness that November brings.

But there are girls like Rudz, Agostinelli and McAllister who don't find facial hair a problem and are supporters of the annual cause.

"I like men with burly beards," McAllister said.

Both McAllister and Agostinelli agree that they prefer beards over mustaches.

"The only time a mustache is ever appropriate is if you're Tom Selleck, if you are over the age of 50, you're doing it for commical purposes, or a fundraiser," Agostinelli said. "If it's just because you want to have a mustache, I personally find that creepy."

Whether it's a patchy beard or a barely-there 'stache, students across campus are participating in the annual cause and aren't afraid to raise awareness while raising some eyebrows along the way.