Bulls' Underdog Run Falls Short

The women's soccer team exceeded all expectations this year, and on Friday, the squad was looking to pull off another shocker in a season full of them.

The top-ranked Toledo Rockets (13-6-2, 11-1-1 MAC) would play spoiler, as they ended a dream season for the Bulls (12-5-4, 5-4-4 MAC) by winning 3-1 in the semifinals of the Mid-American Conference tournament in Toledo, Ohio.

The young Bulls put a scare into Toledo early. In the 16th minute, freshman forward Katie Roberts took a pass from freshman midfielder Courtney Mann, who beat the defender on the inside and unleashed an incredible shot that soared over Toledo goalkeeper Vicki Traven. The goal was the seventh of the season for Roberts, extending her team-leading total.

The senior-laden and battle-tested Rockets would not relent, scoring three goals to put Buffalo's season to bed. The most crucial goal came in the 48thminute, as sophomore goalkeeper Ainsley Wheldon tried to clear a ball that rolled to her. A Toledo player deflected the kick and MAC offensive player of the year Rachel MacLeod took advantage, making a shot from about 20 yards out while Wheldon was still trying to recover. That shot proved to be the game winner, as the Rockets added another goal to further put the game out of reach.

Despite the tough loss, coach Michael Thomas was proud of the Bulls' effort.

"It was a lot to ask to come up and knock [Toledo] off at home, but I am really proud of the effort that the players gave," Thomas said. "We represented UB really well."

Despite the way the season ended, the Bulls still have plenty to smile about. Their 11-game turnaround was the best in all of women's soccer at the Division-I level, a far cry from the 1-16-2 record that they put up just a year ago.

"We aren't completely satisfied with the season, but I'm proud of them," Thomas said. "We didn't get to raise that trophy, but to have the most successful season in like 11,12 years is a big accomplishment."

On defense, even though Wheldon was not named to any all-MAC team, she was able to submit a record-breaking year for the Bulls, becoming the all-time leader in season shutouts (nine) and wins (12), and finishing third in goals against average (.79). Despite her 5-foot-4-inch frame, she was able to reach up and make some spectacular saves, some of which should have been definite goals for the opposition. She finished her season with 139 saves, which ties her for fourth in school history.

The first-year players made a huge impact on this Bulls squad as well. Freshmen like Roberts and midfielder Megan Giesen have made their mark on the MAC. For the second time in three years, a freshman ended the season as the top scoring threat for the Bulls, as Roberts led the way with seven.

Even though Giesen couldn't finish the year due to injury, she was the leader in the midfield. The rookie from Strongsville, Ohio was a defensive dynamo, as she constantly won tackles and put pressure on opposing players. On offense, she added two goals and an assist in the 12 games she started.

Both players were named to the MAC's all-freshman squad on Thursday.

"All of the freshmen came in and contributed in such big ways," Thomas said. "You could have put any two girls in [the all-MAC freshman team] and they would have been deserving. Katie has been our biggest goal scoring threat. Megan has brought a very blue-collar work ethic to the midfield, and has even added a few dramatic goals. They were very deserving of the praise they received."

The seniors, although they ended the season with a loss, finally were able to get a taste of winning soccer. Forward Aubrey Stahl led the pack. She proved to the MAC that she was one of the best scorers in the conference, as her five goals were enough to earn a spot on the all-MAC second team.

This senior class is particularly special to coach Thomas. He arrived in Jan. 2008, a mere month before signing day, and he knew it would be exceptionally difficult to bring this team to the top of the MAC. Stahl, midfielders Danielle Turner and Angela Nicholas, and forward Cathryn Hilliard were the first athletes he recruited, and he was appreciative of the efforts they gave throughout their time here.

"I just thanked [the seniors]," Thomas said. "I think they know what they accomplished, and they know that when Buffalo moves into a bright future, they will be a big reason why we got there."

Looking ahead, the future looks bright for the Bulls. They will return 10 of 11 starters, and with a young core of Wheldon, Roberts, Giesen and Mann, Thomas believes there is significant hope for the future.

"We realize that there was a reason for the success [this year]," Thomas said. "It was the willingness of the players to absolutely work and absolutely commit to this season. It was the willingness of the players to put the team above their own personal goals."