The Musically Forgotten

I'm not sad anymore; I'm just tired of this place.

Every year the two biggest events on campus are Fall Fest and Spring Fest. When I first started my collegiate career, the Student Association made it clear that there would be two different kinds of shows, Hip-hop and Rock.

That was a great way to do it. While it did not please everyone, it made sure that the two most popular genres of music were represented. But that all ended with Spring Fest '09, in which SA brought Rise Against and Brand New.

Since then, SA has brought nothing but hip-hop and pop-rock, ignoring a major population of UB. The closest it has come to trying to bridge the gap is Three Days Grace at Spring Fest '10, but if you loath radio rock, like many do, you have been forgotten.

Unfortunately for people that aren't a fan of top-40 or radio rock, SA seems to have stopped caring that there might be bands that aren't played on the radio.

I understand that many bands that would be enjoyed by this demographic might not be the most popular bands among the masses, but every student pays for the Fests. It is appalling that SA does not try to bring even a single act for these students.

Some people say that you cannot complain about a free concert. But this is not a free concert in the slightest – we all pay for it. Every student pays the Mandatory Student Activity Fee, which funds the Fests, so in no way are these concerts "free."

How is SA going to charge these students that do not like pop-rock? The organization has charged students for nearly three years, and has yet to bring a concert that would interest them.

There are plenty of bands that can please both the rockers and the other people on campus. Bands like Jimmy Eat World, Motion City Soundtrack, and Taking Back Sunday – among other bands – have a wide enough appeal that you can still enjoy their high-energy shows even if you do not listen to that kind of music.

There are many bands out there that are not very big but put on bedazzling shows and win people over with their live performances.

The Gaslight Anthem is one of the quickest rising acts in rock music: the band has made a name for itself with its great live shows and genuine music. I would be surprised to find someone who doesn't enjoy The Gaslight Anthem after having seen them live.

The problem is that these up-and-coming acts – especially in rock music – aren't even on SA's radar. Instead, SA opts to bring acts that are plastered all over the radio.

There is nothing wrong with bringing popular acts, but popular acts are not just on the radio. There are plenty of great bands that can't afford to get airtime – why should they be excluded?

Even if SA wants to stick to more poppy music, there are bands that both sides can agree on. Acts like Sleigh Bells, Ke$ha, and Robert Randolph & the Family Band transcend genres, and are enjoyed by people that listen to many different kinds of music.

I'm not saying that SA should put on a show catered to people that have been ignored, but the organization should at least to try and bring one act that those excluded can enjoy.

For the past three years SA has catered to the tastes of people that listen to pop music almost exclusively. It is time to give fans of other genres a chance to have a concert that they can enjoy. After all, every student is forced to pay for the Fests.

Email: jameson.butler@ubspectrum.com