Defenders of Pop Punk

With the slogan "Defend Pop Punk," Man Overboard has managed to take on the role of the genre's guards.

Man Overboard won over the affection of genre fans with its 2010 debut full-length, Real Talk. Influenced by bands like Taking Back Sunday and Saves the Day, it is easy to see why there is so much buzz around the band.

The band is currently on the premier tour of the fall, Pop Punk's Not Dead, with veterans New Found Glory and Set Your Goals, and fellow scene new comers The Wonder Years and This Time Next Year.

"I think the cool thing about this tour is that its five bands," said guitarist Justin Collier. "Some bands have been around for 15 years like New Found Glory, or closer to seven or eight years like Set Your Goals, and only a couple years like us and This Time Next Year and The Wonder Years."

For its new album, Man Overboard switched to Rise Records, which has been primarily a hardcore and metal label. Once Man Overboard signed, the label received a make over.

"We knew the grand scheme before we went into it, but I think people thought it was weird that we signed to the label," Collier said. "Then after Transit, Sharks, Hot Water Music, Daytrader, Cheap Girls and all these other bands starting signing to it and people were like ‘All right, this makes a little more sense.' We were definitely a little worried at first what people were going to think about it, but in the end it turned out being cool."

The band's new album, Man Overboard, might have not made as big of a splash as Real Talk, but the band maintains its catchy chorus' and danceable riffs.

"We have only been playing two new songs a night," Collier said. "We have been playing ‘Dead End Dreams' every night …and the response to that song has been amazing. And then we have been switching up the other one. We've been playing ‘Teleport' and ‘Something's Weird' and ‘Spunn' depending on the night and the response to that has been cool too. Then we usually play seven or eight old songs as well."

Pop Punk's Not Dead stops in Buffalo Tuesday at the Town Ballroom. Doors are at 6 P.M and tickets are $17 in advance.