UB Police Assist in Irene Relief Effort

Hurricane Irene brought more than just rain to New York City.

Eight officers from the UB police department were called to duty in New York City to assist local fire companies and police departments direct traffic, clear roadways, and ensure citizen safety in areas affected by the storm. The officers joined troops from the National Guard at the request of SUNY Chancellor Nancy L. Zimpher.

"[The National Guard] called me [Aug. 28], and said they were looking for officers," said Chief of University Police Gerald W. Schoenle Jr. "When I sent the message out, 30 officers said they were interested."

While not every interested officer was sent to New York to assist, those who were called upon were deployed quickly. UPD was notified by the National Guard at 8:41 p.m. that personnel would be needed, and the eight officers were en route to the scene by 11:30 p.m.

The officers traveled in three university police vehicles, and arrived at SUNY Purchase at 6 a.m. Sunday morning. Upon arrival, they were dispatched to Lexington Avenue and 26th Street, a high point of Lower Manhattan that experienced heavy flooding and was badly damaged.

The conditions upon arrival in New York were disconcerting, according to UPD officer Sergio Disanto.

"When we came into Brooklyn, [the damage] was especially bad," Disanto said. "There was a truck almost entirely underwater, and the driver was standing on top of the bed."

For Disanto, the situation was a considerable departure from his usual work as a police officer.

During their deployment, the officers' assignments included escorting National Guard emergency medical technicians, and other medical personnel into the areas that the heavy rain and strong winds had affected the most.

"It was different," Disanto said. "I was never in the military, so working with the National Guard was a new experience for me."

Additional officers were sent to Manhattan, where they created and enforced roadblocks. Others were dispatched to Brooklyn to assist in directing traffic, and to remove the debris caused by fallen trees in road-blocked areas near hospitals.

The officers who made the trip will receive overtime pay for their efforts. The department has not received any compensation from the National Guard, but it is expected that the university will be receive payment in the future.

Many UB students experienced the storm firsthand, as they were unable to arrive on time for the first day of classes due to cancellation of airways and railways.

"A tree fell on my grandmother's house," said Jamie Schnitzer, a junior psychology major from Queens. "Water was coming in through the walls."

Students see the UPD's work as a worthwhile use of officer time and capability.

"I think it's nice they're helping," said Andrew Lotto, a freshman mechanical and aerospace engineering major from Long Island. "[The Long Island area] hasn't had a storm in a while, so they needed all the relief they could get.

The National Guard released the UB officers from their duties at 8 p.m. Sunday night. After spending the night in New York, they made the return trip to Buffalo on Monday morning.

Students Sound Off on Hurricane Irene

Michael Ballard, junior anthropology major

"I planned on getting here on Sunday at 3:30," Ballard said. "I got here at Tuesday 12 p.m."

"I'm surprised they didn't cancel classes," Ballard said. "They have a significant population from New York City. It's as if they just sort of went on with their day."

Alafia Delahaye, senior English major

"Well, I was delayed a few days," Delahaye said. "I was supposed to leave NYC via the Amtrak train on [Aug. 28], but I ended up having to take the Greyhound [Aug. 30] because the train still isn't running from the city."

"I don't think that [continuing classes] was selfish of UB," Delahaye said. "Despite the fact that many students who attend school here are from NYC, there are still many other students here that the school has to cater to. It was an unfortunate event that was beyond anyone's control."

Lee Singer, sophomore biomedical sciences major

"I had booked a flight, but they cancelled it on Saturday. So I had to take an earlier flight."

"I didn't have to do anything extra. I didn't really notice anything from [the residence halls]. That's just me personally."

(Didn't miss classes)

Nikita Goraksha, sophomore aerospace engineering major

"I only had to pay for a cab [because inner-city transportation was cut]. I ended up missing two days of classes. I think around five in total."

Anika Brabham, senior psychology major

"The trains were down. You couldn't go anywhere," Brabham said." Basically the whole city was shut down and no one could get to their jobs."

"I was supposed to get here [Aug. 29]. I ended up getting here later in the afternoon. My bus got delayed. I haven't missed any classes. Luckily, Sunday night I was already settled in."