Bulls Look to Sky for Answers

Considered by many to be the best defense in the Mid-American Conference in 2010, the only excuse for the Bulls' woes last year was their inability to get on the board. But with a multitude of talented receivers returning from last season and a new quarterback in the backfield, the Bulls are confident they can outscore any opponent.

Buffalo has three returning receivers who averaged over 30 yards per game last year. Leading the way is senior Marcus Rivers, who ended last year with 690 total reception yards (57.5 per game) and five touchdowns on the season. He believes there's no limit on the team's potential in 2011.

"Being on this team really fills me with a sense of pride," Rivers said. "We'll destroy whoever we're lined up against. We have a new and improved team."

Perhaps the most promising feature of the Bulls' air force is its variation of skill and style.

What Buffalo fans can expect is a more consistent game plan. With an addition to the squad in quarterback Chazz Anderson, Rivers is anticipating nothing less than flawless synchronization.

"We all have chemistry with [Anderson]," Rivers said. "He is a people person. He is a strong leader and he demands perfection."

One player whose productivity should benefit the most from the veteran leadership of Anderson is sophomore Alex Neutz, who finished second on the team in yards per game last season. With a total of 414 yards in 2010, Neutz led Buffalo receivers in yards per reception with 15.9 as a freshman.

Neutz finished between seniors Ed Young and Terrell Jackson, who ended last year with five and three touchdowns respectively. Jackson was Quinn's main resource on special teams and he was named to the Preseason All-MAC team as a punt returner. Jackson finished four yards shy of Neutz with 37.6 yards per game in 2010.

However, the key to any assault is a secret weapon. For the Bulls this year, that weapon is junior Saron Hood. Hood, who saw limited action for Buffalo last season, is described as an adept receiver who possesses great poise. Many Bulls fans look forward to a breakout season from Hood in 2011.

"I'm humbled," Hood said. "I view this as a great opportunity to play in general. Every time I step onto the field you'll be able to see my passion for this team."

Fans aren't the only ones expecting big things from Hood. Quinn plans on utilizing the receiver frequently this year.

"It's great to see a young man overcome a little bit of size and prove he can come out here and compete at this level," Quinn said. "[Hood] plays with his head, his heart and his pads. He has great focus and concentration on catching the ball."

Appearing in nine games as a sophomore, Hood grabbed just four passes for a total of 33 yards. Yet, he feels that time on the sidelines has benefitted his development and been his motivation this summer. Furthermore, he has no doubts about what the Bulls ultimately seek – a MAC championship.

"We work hard every day and we've really moved forward," Hood said. "Our potential is endless. Why not reach for the stars?"

Aside from vying for a conference title this year, the Bulls look to establish themselves as a force in all of college football. With a schedule that includes some fierce out-of-conference competition, Quinn has faith in his program.

"[The team] loves to compete," Quinn said. "That's what good teams do – compete. That's what Division I college football is all about."