The Greatest Ever Nobody Cares About

Roger Federer will realize notoriety only long after he's gone

Everybody knows the greatness of Tiger Woods, Tom Brady, Michael Jordan, and Derek Jeter. Those are the names of American sports icons that will be forever present in the minds of fans.

What's interesting about that list of names is that the greatest champion to compete in a sport in the last decade is not on it. His name is Roger Federer and he plays in the forgotten sport of men's tennis, at least to fans in the U.S.

It's not necessarily the fault of the American fan either. American men's tennis is in the dumps and it has been since Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi put away their tennis rackets. Andy Roddick was supposed to be the guy to take American tennis into the new millennium, but he's been more successful as a model than he has as a tennis player.

The man that has dominated the sport of tennis barely resonates in the U.S. and it's a shame because he's one of the best athletes to ever play a sport. He has won more single's grand slam titles (16) than any other tennis player. The closest to him is the legendary Sampras, and there doesn't look to be anyone on the tennis horizon that can possibly take aim at his record. He's won six Wimbledon titles, five U.S. Open Championships, four Australian Opens, and he's won a French Open title during the dominant reign of Rafael Nadal on clay.

Nadal has been the one constant challenger to Federer, but his 10 grand slam titles pail in comparison to Roger. Rafa is only 25 and if he can stay healthy, he could probably make a run at 16, but it's very unlikely.

On June 29, Federer looked human for the first time in his illustrious career after giving up a two-set lead at Wimbledon to fall to Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. It was the first time ever that Federer gave up a two-set lead, as he was 178-0 before that match when up two sets to zero.

It had to happen though. Jordan with the Wizards, Jeter with the Yankees, and even Peyton Manning last season for the Colts; eventually time catches up with everyone, and it looks like Federer is going to start his decline.

But what a career it's been, and it has gone mostly unnoticed. Tiger tweaking his knee in a practice round gets more publicity than a Roger Federer match in the finals of a Grand Slam. I remember what it was like watching Sampras and Agassi battle, and a lot more people cared about tennis during their runs.

Men's tennis is starting to develop some amazing talents and the sport is climbing back to relevance. Novak Djokovic is a monster. He's had some memorable matches already and it is great drama whenever he collides with Federer or Nadal.

If you've never watched a tennis match, check out the semi-finals and finals of Wimbledon. It's great tennis and you can just feel the tradition and history present in every match.

For Federer, it does look like the end is near. How long is it possible for an athlete to possess that killer instinct that allows him to dominate a sport? When does the desire run out, and when does the competition just start to figure you out?

One thing is for sure: the career of Roger Federer will be looked back upon by future generations with awe. People will ask what it was like to watch him play, and most people will be unable to answer.

For those who are able, count yourself lucky and definitely don't miss a match of Federer's in the U.S. Open. I have a feeling it's going to be his last gasp, and I for one would not want to be on the other side of the net.

Email: matthew.parrino@ubspectrum.com