UB Graduate Programs Receive High Marks from U.S. News and World Report

A number of UB graduate programs – including the medicine, engineering, law, nursing, and business schools – are among the best in the country, according to U.S. News and World Report's annual ranking of "America's Best Graduate Schools."

"The rankings merely provide a confirmation of what we at UB have already known about our graduate programs," said Satish K. Tripathi, officer in charge. "We are quite proud that our programs across our university continue to rise in rank among the most lauded national programs."

The School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences has moved up four spots from last year, ranking 55th in comparison to other national medical schools.

"Our students and faculty are beginning to benefit from the implementation of the school's transforming strategic plan to enrich the educational, research, and clinical programs," said Michael E. Cain, MD, dean of the School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences.

Approximately 150 other medical schools were considered for the ranking. Cain attributes UB's graduate programs' success to their "continued efforts to achieve excellence."

Many other medical programs were ranked highly in the magazine. Among them was the School of Nursing, which was ranked 79th.

"First and foremost, we have excellent programs because we have excellent faculty," said Jean K. Brown, Ph.D., dean of the School of Nursing. "In addition, our newly renovated facility gives us state of the art clinical laboratories that have technology to simulate patient care such as high fidelity patient mannequins, electronic health records, and an operating room simulation suite that is among the best in the U.S."

The speech-language pathology program earned a ranking of 25th, and the audiology program ranked 16th in the nation. The clinical psychology program earned a ranking of 43rd. And, after only nine years of existence, the department of biostatistics in the School of Public Health and Health Professions was ranked 64th.

"It is our world-renowned faculty and our dedicated staff, who bring curriculum to life and provide our students with a transformative education. They share credit for our continued success and our considerable international prominence," Tripathi said.

Over 200 engineering schools were considered by the magazine, and UB's graduate School of Engineering and Applied Sciences earned a ranking of 52nd. In addition to the rating as a whole, individual programs within the school have been recognized for specific disciplines. UB ranked 26th in industrial engineering, 27th in civil engineering, 41st in chemical engineering, 67th in mechanical engineering, and 75th in electrical engineering.

The School of Business Management's full-time MBA program earned a ranking of 75th amidst 437 business schools examined by U.S. News. The school's part-time MBA program received a ranking of 73rd. In addition to this U.S. News and World ranking, Bloomberg BusinessWeek, the Financial Times, Forbes, and The Wall Street Journal have acclaimed UB's School of Management as one of the best business schools in the country.

"Through these and other rankings, the business world has given the School of Management a ringing endorsement," said Arjang A. Assad, Ph.D., dean of the School of Management. "Today, our graduates are seen as extremely bright, eager to succeed, and good investments; an irresistible combination for corporate recruiters seeking top business talent."

Assad believes that UB's emphasis on real-world learning, community and economic impact, and the global perspective of the school's programs are recurring themes of excellence that contribute to these programs' reputations.