Memorial Concert Held for Musical Professor

Friends and family of the late Professor Samuel M. Paley gathered in Slee Hall for a concert commemorating his life through his love for contemporary music.

Last Friday, attendees experienced the aesthetic beauty of non-traditional music through the elegant performances of Barry Crawford on flute, Yuki Numata on violin, Jonathan Golove on cello, and Bob Berkman on pianola. Each musician played powerfully, perfecting the art of contemporary music and displaying respect for Paley through passionate performances.

A portion of the concert was dedicated to raising awareness of Paley's diligent contributions to the field of archaeology. A library with data from his worldly experiences will be built under his name, showcasing his extensive interdisciplinary research. This highly anticipated project will allow individuals to access all of Paley's research.

The evening commenced with opening remarks given by David Felder, chair of the department of music, followed by Charles Stinger, senior associate dean of the College of Arts and Sciences; Peter Biehl, chair of the department of anthropology; and, lastly, Barbara "Bobbi" Koz Paley, Paley's wife.

Felder explained that the music selected for the evening was chosen to compliment Paley's diverse interests through pieces such as J.S. Bach's Suite No. 1 in G Major.

Biehl's opening words described Paley's diverse pallet for culture, including archaeology, Turkey, music, and books about music.

"There was music everywhere in his life," Biehl said.

Crawford began the night of music with his solo flute performance of Augusta Read Thomas' "Euterpe's Caprice" and Edgard Varese's "Density 21.5." The notes escaping from his instrument embraced all elements of contemporary music. He jumped sharply from high squeaks to deep breathy tones, creating an energetic and emotional atmosphere.

Numata followed with her violin, exquisitely performing Felder's "Another Face" and Moshe Shulman's "Parallels." Both pieces were introduced to the audience in an intriguing manner, as Numata gripped its attention with blasting intensity. For her performance of "Parallels," an electronic device was attached to her violin, creating an entrancing distortion that sounded like a strange yet captivating trickle of galactic noises.

Golove's solo performance on cello was graceful and passionate, as he played the songs of Iannis Xenakis's "Kottos" and the "Prelude," "Sarabande," and "Courtante" from J.S. Bach's Suite No. 1 in G Major. His bow was a flawless extension of his arm, as his mastered technique of cello produced chilling and resonating melodies.

The last song performed was Max Karl August Bruch's "Kol Nidrei" in a powerful duet between Golove on cello and Berkman on pianola. The pianola was an instrument that Paley was fond of, and the two musicians together concluded the concert in an memorable performance.

Paley, who passed away on March 31, 2010, was a highly respected professor of the Department of Classics and co-founder of the Institute for European and Mediterranean Archaeology (IEMA). He made significant contributions to Annette Craven's project to create Cravens World; a 1,100-piece collection of the anthropological and ethnographic findings of Craven's, dating as far back as 4,500 BC.

Paley's archeological involvement and fascination with historical societies allowed him to lead a life of extensive interdisciplinary research, leaving behind years of valuable information.

Bobbi, who sponsored the concert, expressed her anticipation for the creation of the Samuel M. Paley Memorial Library.

"This is a living legacy that will last to keep Sam's multidisciplinary alive for scholars and students," Bobbi said.