Hard To Say Goodbye

Matthew Parrino

All good things come to an end; college sports fans know that lesson better than most.

In the case of the senior class leaving UB this season, there are a number of student athletes that will be missed, even more so than in years past.

I could start with any of them, but I feel like no one in the class has accomplished more than Kourtney Brown.

Brown is the face of women's basketball at UB, and the team will not only miss her as a basketball player, but the university will miss who she is as a person. I've covered a bunch of athletes in my time here at UB, and Brown is one the most sincere and humble athletes who I've come across.

The way she plays the game seems so effortless, and her accomplishments are unparalleled at UB. She is the school's all-time leading scorer, rebounder, and her 260 career blocks are the most in the history of the Mid-American Conference. She became the second player in UB history to be named to the All-American team. Her legacy is one of greatness – on and off the court.

What can be said about Byron Mulkey that hasn't been said already? The guy is the consummate teammate and one of the brightest basketball players I've ever covered. His selflessness has been evident over the course of his career, and it was never as apparent as when he redshirted his senior season to help the team.

In a season that was supposed to be a rebuilding year of sorts, Mulkey's leadership lifted the Bulls and gave fans at Alumni Arena numerous memories that will last for a while. He led the MAC in steals with 2.5 per game and, for a time early in the season, led the country.

The 2010 team had seven seniors and arguably as much talent as any team in UB history, yet this year's squad did just as well. Mulkey is a big reason why this team accomplished what it did.

The football team didn't have its best season last year. Finishing 2-10 is just about as forgettable a season as a team can have. With that said, there are going to be some players leaving that will be missed.

Davonte Shannon and Dominic Cook have been the heart and soul of the defense for the past four seasons. They both were big parts of the first-ever MAC Championship team. They have as much to do with the transformation of the UB football program as anybody does.

Shannon was named defensive MVP of the team at the yearly awards banquet after another 100-plus tackle season. He recorded four interceptions, which was the most of his career for a single season. He leaves Buffalo as the all-time leader in tackles.

Cook saved his best for last and had his best season in his senior year. He had six interceptions, which ranked him fifth in the nation. He also showcased his team-first mentality by agreeing to make the switch from cornerback, where he'd played his entire career, to safety to help sure up the Bulls' downfield coverage.

Both players, along with Josh Thomas, hope to be playing on Sundays next season. Thomas spent his career at UB as a steady corner, known for his reliability. He played early in his career and was the only Buffalo player to get a tryout at the NFL combine. He's sure to be missed in the secondary along with Shannon and Cook.

This year has been a memorable one for myself. I've been able to cover an athletic program with talented and genuine student athletes, and for that, I'll be forever grateful. It's easy to learn when you're working with people who care and allow you to do your job. I'll forever be true blue and wish all the teams at UB great success in the future.

Email: matthew.parrino@ubspectrum.com