UB Prizes Student Research

Amid the numerous state budget cuts affecting UB, one student still gets to research a topic of his choice, invite other students to a presentation at a Celebration of Academic Excellence, and receive a $500 Undergraduate Research Prize.

The prize is given out every year in the spring to honor .an undergraduate student who has shown exceptional proficiency with library resources, services, and collections to produce noteworthy academic investigations. It is offered by UB Libraries in conjunction with the Center for Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities (CURCA).

"[Because] this is undergraduate research, we are looking for interested, enthusiastic students," said Timothy Tryjankowski, director of CURCA. "[As] an undergraduate, you bring lots of enthusiasm and probably little experience, but that's the beauty of all of this. This is a chance to get involved [as an undergraduate who has limited experience] with real professors who are real leaders in their field of study."

Since originating in 2008, the prize has encouraged students to learn about the research process and resources available in the University Libraries.

"As students work on their research and learn about the resources available in the libraries and how to successfully navigate these sources, they will be developing information literacy skills," said Bridget Schumacher, senior assistant librarian. "This skill set is valuable for undergraduate research, as well as future endeavors, whether that be in a chosen career path or graduate school."

Research from all disciplines is welcome, and projects are allowed in a variety of forms. Research papers, artwork and photography, database development, lab or clinical research investigation, and product and prototype development are all eligible.

UB's research programs and grants are some of the university's best secrets, according to Michael Wach, a senior biomedical sciences major and winner of the Undergraduate Research Prize in 2009.

Wach won the award on his project titled "Bacteria in the Soil: Using New Agricultural Methods to Alleviate the Hunger Crisis in Africa."

"I actually heard about the award through my friend, who saw an advertisement in the library and encouraged me to apply," Wach said. "He thought I had a great project and really pushed me to submit my work. The goal of my project was never to win. I set out with the goal of what I'm basing my whole career on, which is being able to help people with my knowledge and with science."

Wach's project consisted of investigative research in soil chemistry to protect soil and plants from extreme day-to-night temperature changes. By insulating the soil with everyday black trash bags, Wach produced an increase in nitrifying bacteria and significant plant growth.

The university wants to let undergraduates experience what it feels like to be in command of their own ideas and research, plus the mental and physical demands that come with that.

"At one point, I had been at the lab for an hour every night straight for 62 days," Wach said. "I never wanted to give up, though I did have some moments of metaphorically pounding my head against a wall. I love science too much, and there are tons of people I can help, so I never came too close to giving up. I feel like winning that award was huge for my research. I felt that it gave my work legitimacy and notoriety."

The deadline for the Undergraduate Research Award this year is Friday, March 4, but to students who might be interested in applying for the award next year, it is never too early to start planning and getting familiar with the libraries.

"When you have a question, do not hesitate to ask a librarian," Schumacher said. "One of the things that I enjoy most about being a librarian is working with students and teaching them about the resources that we have available and how to effectively and efficiently use those sources."

For more information on the Undergraduate Research Award or on CURCA, visit http://library.buffalo.edu/research-prize/ or http://curca.buffalo.edu/.

E-mail: news@ubspectrum.com