It's Easy Being Green

Green is the new black.

The movement to become more environmentally friendly has been going on for several years now, and many people are doing their part to make the world a greener place. Now UB students can learn new ways to help their own environment at the second annual Sustainability Bazaar.

This event was started last year by the Student Association's Environmental Affairs Department, a branch of the SA that helps the student body become aware of the environment and learn new ways that it can make an effort to be more environmentally friendly.

The Sustainability Bazaar is a chance for local organizations, non-profits, and businesses that are committed to sustainability and environmentalism to reach out to students by gathering in the Student Union to display their products and to explain their services. Many of the organizations that will be featured promote being green and sell eco-friendly products.

"We have environmental activist organizations, electric companies, organic and local food businesses, transportation companies, and UB environmental groups signed up to attend, [and] we're expecting approximately 20 organizations in total to participate," said Emily Gibson, a junior communication major and the student representative in the communication and outreach subcommittee of the environmental affairs department. "Some of the participating organizations are Buffalo Niagara Riverkeeper, Go Veggies Inc., Habitat for Humanity ReStore, McCullagh Coffee and NFTA."

All kinds of businesses will be represented, many of them hailing from the Western New York area. Many offer different types of merchandise, such as food and clothing, and students will be able to sample their products and get a taste for the green life. They will also be providing information about what they do, and there will be plenty for students to see.

"It's an excellent opportunity for students to network with leaders of many local sustainable businesses," said William Becker, a junior environmental design major and the research, teaching, and public service committee representative of the Environmental Stewardship Committee. "If that's not enough motivation for students to stop by, there will also be free homemade granola, cotton candy, and other fun snacks."

Many students are not aware of all the things they can do to become more environmentally friendly, and this event provides an opportunity to learn more about them. The bazaar will help students to realize that even the little things can make a difference, and attendees will be able to expose themselves to the changes that they can make.

"Through the bazaar, we wanted to inform students of the more creative ways that they can be green, such as volunteering at environmental non-profits such as Buffalo First, learning about renewable energy from energy companies, and eating local and organic foods," Gibson said.

Students can come to the Sustainability Bazaar to learn about new ways to be green, try out some new products, or to make connections with local businesses.

"I believe that sustainability is the issue that will define our generation," Becker said. "The more we know about sustainability, the better prepared we will be for the future."

The Sustainability Bazaar will be held on April 8 in the SU.