Gone But Not Forgotten

This Sunday, the second annual Matthew Scarpati Memorial Walk will take place from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. Participants will meet in the front of the Student Union, and the walk will traverse the Academic Spine.

Scarpati entered UB as a freshman economics major in the fall of 2008, and in the spring of 2009, he pledged and crossed into the fraternity Pi Lambda Phi.

While home for the summer, Scarpati was killed when a drunken motorcyclist crashed into the 19-year-old while changing his bicycle wheel on the Wantagh bike path near his home on Long Island.

"Matt Scarpati was the perfect embodiment of an all-around student who had his head in the right place, with a clear picture as to where he wanted to go in life," said Karan Kapoor, a junior finance and marketing major and vice president of Pi Lambda Phi. "He set in motion the process of reviving UB's defunct bicycle club and was actively involved in the school's Greek Life by taking part in various charitable causes."

As a tribute to Scarpati, his fraternity brothers decided to host an event last year to raise awareness about the dangers of drinking and driving, and to generate money for the Matthew Scarpati Scholarship.

Scarpati's parents set up the scholarship fund the summer he passed away, and donations can be made year round. For the past two years, his parents have awarded a scholarship to UB students who most resemble their son and excel academically.

"As a fraternity, we really wanted to show our support to his family and be able to keep Matt in our memories forever," said Kyle Berninger, a junior mechanical engineering major and president of Pi Lambda Phi."[The walk] helps raise awareness on the dangers of drinking and driving, as well as allowing everyone to spend the day together sharing memories of Matt."

Fraternity members also hope that the walk will urge authorities to install proper safety measures for pedestrians and bicyclists.

There is a $10 registration fee per person and $5 if you are part of a group with 10 or more members. Registration will begin at 10 a.m., and the walk will begin around 11 a.m. All proceeds are donated to Scarpati's charity fund.

Last year, roughly 500 people attended the walk, and over $3,000 was raised.

"We hope to have a bigger turnout as the years go by, and we anticipate keeping this charity event going as long as our chapter is at SUNY Buffalo," said Trevor Titley, a junior communication major and member of Pi Lambda Phi. "The great part about being in a fraternity is that it preserves his memory as we teach our pledges about who Matthew was as a person."

Refreshments will be provided, and all who register will be given a T-shirt. There will also be a raffle with prizes, including apparel provided by True Blue and Upstate New York Transplant Services.