"Ohio Pool Record Goes Down, but Bulls Finish in Middle of the Pack"

The future of the women's swimming and diving program looks bright despite a disappointing end to the 2011 season at the Mid-American Conference Championships.

The women's swimming and diving team (7-2, 2-1 MAC) broke five school records and earned NCAA B Cuts in several events. While the women only placed fifth out of eight teams last Wednesday through Saturday, they have a lot to be proud of, including a MAC title for Caroline Simmons in the 100-yard freestyle.

"We wanted to get in the top four and sometimes it just doesn't work out that way," said head coach Andy Bashor. "There are a lot of factors going into a meet like this. It's four days long, we got fifth, and I'm really proud of how the women raced and competed."

The Bulls wrapped up the first day with strong performances in the 200-yard medley and 800-yard freestyle relays. The 800-yard relay consisted of freshman Tracy Vogel, sophomore Logan Mason, junior Alie Schirmers, and senior Jordan Deren. The team took 2.72 seconds off the school record with a time of 7:27.67. The women only trailed two teams after Wednesday night's session.

Two more school records were broken on Thursday, but the team only scored 83.5 points, knocking it down to sixth place, where it would remain until Saturday. In the 50-freestyle championship race, Simmons missed first place by .01 seconds but managed to break her own school record with a time of 22.79. The 200-yard freestyle relay took .45 seconds off the school record, coming in at 1:32.47. The women earned NCAA B cuts in both races.

Day four may have brought in two more NCAA B cuts, but it also brought a disqualification in the 400-yard medley relay due to a false start.

"We didn't have a great finish off the butterfly leg and went a little early on the freestyle relay," Bashor said. "That stuff happens. We just have to do a better job as coaches for preparing them in those spots. I'm very pleased that they didn't let that part get them down. They fought through it and did really well."

Sophomore Brynn Marecki earned a B-cut mark during prelims of the 100-yard breaststroke with 102.70 seconds. Marecki went on to finish fifth in the championship race for that event.

On Saturday, sophomore Dani Adank contributed to the record-breaking meet as well. In the 200-yard butterfly, Adank broke a six-year old school record, clocking in at 2:02.53 seconds. Simmons won the 100-yard freestyle and another B cut with a time of 49.67, setting a new pool record at the Ohio University Aquatic Center.

The Bulls finished the MAC Championships strong, setting yet another school record. Freshman Marissa Murphy, senior Jessie Koltz, sophomores Karly Moore and Simmons finished third in the 400-freestyle relay. The foursome took 1.01 seconds off of the time the team set at the championships last year. Bashor was pleased with the women's performances and is already looking ahead to next season.

"I'm very proud of the women and the way they competed and raced," Bashor said. "It's not where we want to be. We have a lot of work ahead of us. And that's the fun part about this is to take it to another level and keep improving."

The men's team will have its shot at the MAC Championships this Thursday through Saturday in Carbondale, Ill.

E-mail: sports@ubspectrum.com