New Online Self-Assessment For Majors And Careers

UB Career Services Offers MyPlan Program To Students

The UB Career Services website has launched an undergraduate major and career exploration program, MyPlan. The web-based assessment tool is designed to help students decide what areas of study truly suit them and what occupations are available after graduation.

MyPlan offers a Career Interest Profiler, Career Skills Profiler, and Career Values Assessment, as well as other tools. The program's interface is student-friendly and includes job description videos, various top-ten-career lists, and even a salary calculator. In the "Majors" section, students can research more than 1,200 possible degree options and what career each may lead to.

"[MyPlan] assesses students' interests, skills, and values," said Arlene Kaukus, director of Career Services. "These are three very different but important factors that guide major and career choices."

After registering for the program, users can create their own personalized portfolios with any major or career findings.

MyPlan replaces UB's previous free self-assessment tool, FOCUS.

"MyPlan allows students to look up different industries and the specific occupations within each one," Kaukus said. "The old FOCUS program lacked this tool."

The same fee-based self-assessments – including MBTI®, the Strong Interest Inventory®, and StrengthsQuest™ – are still being offered by Career Services.

Students can access MyPlan through the Career Services website where they will need to set up a free account. A license code is provided by Career Services that enables students to take the assessments. More registration information is available at: ub-careers.buffalo.edu/myplantips.

Students interested in using MyPlan or any of the self-assessments are encouraged to make an appointment with a career counselor before taking any test and also to have a follow-up meeting where assessment results can be evaluated further. To schedule an appointment, students should contact UB Career Services at 259 Capen Hall or call 716-645-2231.

E-mail: news@ubspectrum.com