Blitz to a Healthier You

UB Recreation teams with online fitness program

UB has teamed up with Blitzometer.com to offer students an alternative way to work out. The university's Recreation and Intramural Services is offering an online fitness program at ubrecreation.blitzometer.com.

Jessica Nyrop, assistant director for aerobic and spinning instruction, was presented with the program during the summer of 2010. Nyrop decided to integrate it into the university's current physical fitness programs.

On the website, participants sign up for a Blitz or several Blitzes. A Blitz is "a scheduled fitness program lasting no longer than two weeks," according to Blitzometer.com.

By creating an account, participants are able to sign up for a Blitz of their choosing ranging from Pilates to cardio to an upper body workout. The programs on the website are simple and free.

Once enrolled, participants record their progress on the website for the next two weeks, including the amount of reps they completed, the amount of miles they ran, or the weight they lifted.

Participants can Blitz alone or with a group. Some people choose to Blitz with friends or coworkers, while others perform their Blitzes with their teams or clubs.

Two different numbers are able to track participants' "Blitzitude" or progress. One number is the percentage of the person's commitment and the second number contains the number of Blitzes completed.

"I thought it may be another opportunity for students to be engaged in programmed physical fitness," Nyrop said in an e-mail. "When time commitments, scheduling, and challenges are factors in a physical fitness program, adherence increases."

Blitzometer provides participants with instructional videos to guide them through their workouts and offers Blitzes from beginning to advanced levels.

The program is fairly new to UB, but some students have already taken full advantage of it.

"I think it's a great idea for people who want to work out but don't know how to start," said Catherine Cuyler, a junior psychology major. "It's good for people who regularly go to the gym, too, but just need a way to stay motivated."

Participants can become coaches, as well, and design their own Blitz for friends to follow along with. As with any service, to upgrade to a trainer account, participants will be charged $20 per month. Some of the benefits of the upgraded version include creating custom programs, motivating clients, and tracking progress for personal trainers or instructors.

E-mail: news@ubspectrum.com