Personal Brand Week Offers Students Career Opportunities

PricewaterhouseCoopers hosts second annual online event

Starting on Feb. 7, students will learn what it takes to stand out in the intensely competitive job market after graduation. PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP will begin its second annual Personal Brand Week that offers students opportunities to differentiate themselves from the competition and start successful careers.

The virtual event, "Personal Brand Week 2.0," provides students with the opportunity to establish their own personal ‘brand' to stand out in the job market. The inaugural "Personal Brand Week" has proven to be very effective with students.

"Students gravitated toward the content and offered their own input," said Paula Loop, U.S. and Global Talent Leader for PwC. "There was sustained interest from career services offices at colleges and universities throughout the country."

This year's event runs from Feb. 7 through Feb. 11, with each day focusing on a key theme.

The first day of the event offers a "Building Your Network" lecture, which gives participants instructions for how to build and maintain a strong personal network using three simple steps.

On the second day, the "You are What you Write" theme stresses the importance of writing and effectively communicating with employers. Developing these talents can really set job candidates apart when competing for a position.

"Personal branding is not just about communication but also about developing the right skills that differentiate job candidates," said Holly Paul, National Recruiting Leader for PwC.

The third day incorporates an "Online Image Makeover" opportunity that focuses on the emerging importance of creating a personal online brand that is appealing to employers. Tips from PwC's inaugural "Personal Brand Week" advises students to Google themselves, keep track of their activity on social media sites, and maintain professionalism in their e-mails.

"View from the Other Side: Getting the Job" is the principle of the event's fourth day. This is a new addition to the event and will include lessons on what employers specifically look for in job candidates and what employers like to hear from candidates at interviews.

"Students need an 'X' factor that makes them unique and sets them apart from the competition," Loop said. "Utilizing a personal brand to craft a resume and present one's self can make a huge difference to a potential employer."

The final day reflects on all of the previous lessons and the personal brand that participants have now created. Titled "Pulling it All Together - Elevator Pitch and Body Language," this concluding lesson shows how to successfully express and articulate your personal brand.

"In a world where employers are looking for differentiated value, personal branding is a strategic tool to stand out," Paul said.

The last day marks the beginning of the Best Elevator Pitch Contest. Once participants have an established personal brand, they may showcase it in a short video contest. The contest is open to all college graduates enrolled in four-year institutions.

"The elevator pitch contest connects college students in a creative, engaging way that not only enables them to practice their own pitch but also see how others are presenting themselves," Loop said. "The most efficient elevator pitches are concise."

PwC also hosts online career chats and has recently launched its online career-mapping tool, "Career Explorer." PwC has been ranked number one in Training magazine's "Training Top 125" for three consecutive years. The company has also appeared in BusinessWeek's "Best Internships" and "Best Places to Launch a Career" rankings.

Registration information for "Personal Brand Week 2.0" and the Best Elevator Pitch Contest can be found at www.pwc.com/us/PersonalBrandWeek and www.pwc.tv.

E-mail: news@ubspectrum.com