TRON: Legacy

The Review

Grade: B-

Lightcycle races and pixilated explosions are great to look at, but aren't enough to save Disney's TRON: Legacy from the grips of mediocrity.

TRON: Legacy is a reboot of the famed TRON franchise that got its start with the 1982 cult classic TRON. The film catered to computer fanatics and gamers everywhere and developed a devout following comprised almost exclusively of those with pasty complexions. Only time will tell whether Legacy will be able to gather the same following as the original.

The plot revolves around Sam Flynn (Garrett Hedlund, Country Strong), offspring of the iconic protagonist Kevin Flynn (Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart) from the original TRON.

The opening scene shows Kevin Flynn telling a nighttime story to his son. Those familiar with the original installment will notice right away that this particular story happens to be the plot to TRON.

It's a clever way to bring those unfamiliar with the story up to speed before things really get going in the movie, but it ultimately proves unnecessary. Legacy does a good job of providing an easy to digest storyline, even for those unfamiliar with the original.

After his father finishes telling him the story, Sam watches him head to work and doesn't see him again for roughly two decades. Through a short series of news stories and press conferences, the film fast forwards to present day when Flynn's company Encom has become a second-rate computer software manufacturer.

At this point, and in true clichéd fashion, Sam has grown up to be a rebellious young adult determined to avoid any responsibility in life. Despite the urgings of his stand-in father figure, Alan Bradley (Bruce Boxleitner, Shadows in Paradise), Sam seems more content with running pranks on Encom than actually taking over as CEO.

However, everything changes the instant Sam decides to investigate a page from his father's long dormant office. After a little snooping, Sam discovers his father's office where he is pulled onto ‘the grid,' the virtual space in which the movie takes place.

From then on the movie switches gears and becomes more about the action than the actual storyline. This isn't a bad thing, though, as the dialogue is fairly lackluster and the overarching plot feels rehashed from nearly every science fiction movie ever made.

The bad guy feels betrayed and wants to destroy the world and naturally the only people capable of stopping him are the film's protagonists. However, for everything that Legacy lacks in original storytelling it makes up for in visual appeal.

Graphically speaking, TRON: Legacy is fantastic. The bright neon colors that encompass the vast majority of the film truly give it a technologic feel and sucks the viewer into the virtual world of TRON. From every explosion to every high speed chase, Legacy is one film that's easy on the eyes.

There's barely a 10 minute period that goes by without some sort of fight, explosion or chase happening on screen. For all its flaws, Legacy still at least manages to keep itself entertaining.

The film turns out to be easy on the ears as well. Thanks to the styling of Daft Punk, Legacy's score accompanies the action on screen pitch perfect. The electronic inspired songs not only fit the pace of the film but the setting as well. The music feels so natural at times that viewers won't be able to distinguish the score from the actual movie.

TRON: Legacy may not be the best film in recent years in terms of storytelling, but if you're looking for some intense action and nerdy references, Legacy might just be the film for you.