Something's brewing in Ellicottville

This weekend, the small Cattaraugus County town of Ellicottville will transform into one of the largest fall festivals located in the Western New York region.

Visitors from up and down the east coast will come up to celebrate this magnificent change of seasons with fun weekend activities and some of the best brewed hops around.

In the heart of the Village of Ellicottville is the Ellicottville Brewing Company, whose beers become especially festive during the fall season. Two of EBC's most noted beers are the EBC Blueberry Wheat and the Oktoberfest Lager.

According to the brewery's website, EBC brews the Oktoberfest Lager every year using only the freshest German Hallatauer hops and Munich malts.

This is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Ellicottville's diverse hops selection, as there is also a great selection of locally brewed beers as well.

Located within a five minute walking distance from EBC is another staple bar in Ellicottville, the Gin Mill. Serving up Ellicottville's townspeople good food and brew for decades, the Gin Mill opened in 1933, when it was transformed from a grocery store to a restaurant/bar after the 13-year drought of prohibition.

Some of the seasonal brews on draft that the Gin Mill has for the fall festival are Sam Adams Oktoberfest and Great Lakes Brewing Oktoberfest Amber Ale. In addition to their 18 draughts on tap, they also carry over 30 varieties of bottled beers.

In the proximity of these two bars, there are five other bars and restaurants just steps away from each other in the heart of the village.

The great events that go on during the festival are another reason to head down to Ellicottville this weekend."

"At Holiday Valley you'll find a well supplied ski swap, chairlift rides, Mountain Shop sale, food, music, a 5K running race and a mountain bike race," said Kristen Sciara, assistant director of marketing for Holiday Valley.

According to the Ellicottville Chamber of Commerce website the "tens of thousands of festival goers" will enjoy plenty of other unique foods, arts and crafts, carnival rides and live entertainment throughout the town as well.

The festival takes place once every year, and this year the weather looks like as though it's going to provide one of the most beautiful Fall Festivals in Ellicottville's history.

E-mail: features@ubspectrum.com