Show me your coconuts

Creativity, craftsmanship and an edible idea will land one lucky student a free spring break trip to Daytona Beach this March.

This Thursday afternoon, the Student Association is sponsoring a tropical luau with free food, a limbo, fruit punch pong, a DJ and will feature the first ever "Show Me Your Coconuts Contest."

Students are invited to create an inventive fruit themed swimsuit that they will model in a contest. Incorporating edible materials and coconuts into apparel will earn one extra points and a panel of four judges will critique students on creativity, craftsmanship, audience response and performance on stage.

The panel will be comprised of an SA E-board member, the creative director for the Communication department and the SA spring break liaisons. Participants will be judged based on a 100-point scale.

"This is the first time SA is running an event like this, we are really excited and hope to get a lot of student participation," said Tommy Zhao, SA spring break liaison.

The winner will win a trip valued at around $450, which includes transportation and a seven-day/six-night accommodation at the Plaza Ocean Club.

All students are encouraged to participate in this event.

"Anything goes. Girls, guys, speedos, bikinis and board shorts. Everyone is welcome to show-off and compete," said Antonio Roman, SA treasurer.

Sign up to participate at www.sa.buffalo.edu/spring break today. The luau will be from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday in the SU. The swimsuit contest will take place at 3 p.m.

E-mail: features@ubspectrum.com